Author Topic: What should a Cable Restraint Trapper Really do?  (Read 1899 times)

uncle buck

What should a Cable Restraint Trapper Really do?
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:07:43 PM »
I do not camo my restraints when I trap by painting them white for snow or brown or green for grass sets...I do soak them in arm & Hammer or generic Baking soda..This takes the shine out of them...I have had a few stolen but just doing this simple procedure seems to work for me...I still catch fox and coyotes so just taking a bit of the shine out works for me..
To thick of a paint job might not make them work just right???????Plus it harder for you to find them when they are sprung? 
however I do make a map in a note pad and I will put a real small piece of orange tape near the set..Sometimes two of them in different locations to mark the area of the set..

What are your feeling on camo'd restraints?   

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: What should a Cable Restraint Trapper Really do?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »
I let mine set in walnut shells after I soak them in baking soda.
The soda also removes the oil in the cable, which I feel gives off an unnatural  scent.
The walnut water makes them a dark brown and matches the color of goldenrod stems which is where I like to set them.
I do not mark the sets as I feel potential thieves and sabotagers  will see them or know to look for the marker once they found a restraint.

They are fun to set and light to carry.
The ultimate blind set