Author Topic: Red Dot Scopes have they improved them  (Read 3217 times)

uncle buck

Red Dot Scopes have they improved them
« on: November 04, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »
I must have my Bushnell Holosight now 15 years..  I have killed fox with it but I have missed many with it too.... I see all of these red dots on the market now.. Even one The Burris Speed Bead.  It fits in between  Butt of the stock right behind the receiver of your shotgun.  This would make level with the bead of your shotgun..

I saw a picture of Duff...Dad grayfox...They have one of these red dot on their Benelli SBE 2.  I suppose I should ask Duff how that particular one works...

I  have always been dissatisfied with my Holosight.. Maybe because I purchased it before they got all the bugs out of them? So much so that on sunny days in open fields you can not even see the dot.. Could be that it's old.. Now I have used it at nighttimes so.  The daylight in open sunny fields really has no bearing on predator hunting.. However it does if I want to shoot a couple of geese with it????

http://swfa.com/Burris-Speed-Bead-Systems-C1440.aspx?utm_source=adcenter&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=burris%20speed%20bead&utm_campaign=bing&matchtype=e&query=burris%20speed%20bead

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Red Dot Scopes have they improved them
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »
UB, I am all for the 'Red Dot' scope. You have seen me post about them before. I have been using them for as long as you been using your Holosight.
I say 'scope' but I use a zero power scope with red dot.
I only have used it on shotguns for Fox, Coyote and Turkey. Good red dot even on the sunnyest days. The two I have used are the AIMPOINT AND TRU-GLO which have a dial to increase or decrease the brightest of dot.
I don't think you have to spent too much money for a good 'red dot'.
PM me if you have any questions.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »
I just re-read your title... Red Dot Scopes have they improved them
I used my friends shotgun with one mounted on it to kill a Spring Gobbler way back when. The next weekend, I purchased one of my own. Never went back to bead or another sighting system.
I purchase a new shotgun this past March and it came with a Tru-Glo red or green dot.
I haven't seen any improvement because I don't think any were needed. Manufactures got it right the first time, in my opinion.
Put the red dot on what you want to kill and pull the trigger.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »
Red Dot scopes are perfect for shotgun work.I have a tasco Pro Point that works great for close work when you need to get on target fast.Almost as easy as pointing your finger.I would not recommend it for a rifle as the red dot in most cases will completely cover your target at longer ranges.Go with a 4 moa dot or smaller.Stay with a 1x as a 2x makes it seem like your looking through a long piece of pipe,really cuts down on your field of view.Just my findings through experience.

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
I have the Mueller red dot on my 1300 winchester. I forget what model it is, but it works great. There are five different dot sizes to choose from, and 10, or 11 brightness settings.
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline madcatter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 08:58:01 PM »
i have a mueller now on my hunting 22.fantastic compared to the aimpoint,sprint and the tasco i have usde.
for a zero power holosight i use an eotech---ya its pricey,but it hasnt let me down,i beat the hell outta it and it is fairly easly to aim-up quickly.i have used it on my rabbit gun several times---fun but in reality its just extra weight.
heres some stuff with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPizivpQJlM

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
Nice  I enjoyed that's.  Also enjoyed some of your other videos that showed up also.. Outstanding rabbit and beagle footage..  Thanks for sharing.

Offline madcatter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 08:42:17 AM »
your welcome---i just started coonhunting this year,i been a beagle guy for many years.a couple guys i met let me tag along coonhunting with them.have good times and their dogs seem to produce a coon in a tree 9 outta 10 times.some hole up.
even full moon nights we can pull off 5-8