Author Topic: Scope  (Read 2390 times)

Offline predator94

• Junior Forum Member
Scope
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:48:30 AM »
So im having a hard time deciding on what scope to put on the new savage axis in 22-250 im going to get a guy i hunt groundhogs with has the same gun in .223 and has a $60 walmart special centerpoint 4-16x illuminated scope on it and really has nothing to complain about but its clarity could be better i think so thats why i was hesitant about that scope and then i found out that bushnell has the banner series scopes in a 4-16x with an illuminated reticle for a good price but then i also thought about spending a little more money and going with the 4-16x mueller with the sport dot so as far as illuminated scopes go thats what i narrowed it down too but then i also read some of you guys were saying that you dont need an illuminated reticle if you are using a 250 red kill light which is what i will be using so then that got me thinking about all the different options again but what it comes down to is im looking for an inexpensive scope that will last me awhile and gets the job done both night and day hogs or predators thanks for any advice

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Re: Scope
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:52:21 AM »
I buy Nikon, Leupold, or Zeis. These scopes will cost you lots of money though. Just my preference.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
Go with the best glass you can afford ;) Nikon Buckmasters won't break the bank :)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »
I used to shoot walmart specials.  Last year I bought my first "decent" scope.  it was a nikon prostaff(even tho it is still a 120dollar scope).  I like the clarity.  along with the fact that it has remained on zero even after a few falls while hunting with it.  I was surprised and am thinking about putting the same scope with a niko plex on my combo gun for this fall. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline predator94

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
thanks for the advice guys i think if im not going the illuminated reticle route i was looking at the nikon prostaff in 3-12x and also was looking at the bushnell banner but in 6x18x50 anyone have any experience with the banner i know the prostaff is already good it just would be nice to have that extra magnification for the long shots on hogs

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »
I know a lot of the guys like the larger reticle for night time hunting...50mm really helps bring the light into your scope
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:03:08 AM »
BSA or Barska,  dont buy the cheapest ones.  Very good scopes!