Author Topic: #066-09 MARYLAND MAN PLEADS GUILTY TO ATTEMPTING TO PURCHASE WILDLIFE  (Read 2276 times)

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
MARYLAND MAN PLEADS GUILTY TO ATTEMPTING TO PURCHASE WILDLIFE
READING - A Maryland man pled guilty in a York County district judge's office recently to 20 counts of attempting to purchase wild turkeys, according to Pennsylvania Game Commission officials.  Charges were filed by Wildlife Conservation Officer Guy Hansen, who serves portions of York County.

On March 19, Douglas Gorden Carroll III, 58, of Timonium, Maryland, was arrested and cited.  As part of the plea agreement, Carroll was assessed $2,000 in fines.

DELAWARE COUNTY GUILTY OF KILLING WILDLIFE
READING - Matt Kenia, 26, of the 500 block of 9th Ave., Prospect Park, Delaware County, was found guilty of five counts of unlawfully killing 20 squirrels, according to Pennsylvania Game Commission officials.  He was ordered to pay fines of $350.

Game Commission Wildlife Conservation Officer Jerrold Czech said that, as part of the investigation, Prospect Park Police Department officers confiscated a 177-caliber pump rifle pellet gun and will file disorderly conduct and unlawful discharge within the Borough, as well.

According to WCO Czech's investigation, Kenia was killing squirrels on his property between December and January, collecting them and placing them in a trash can in his yard.

"The information was received by an e-mail complaint to the Game Commission in March," WCO Czech said. "The complainant's information was forwarded to me, and I spoke with another witness.  Afterward, I contacted the Prospect Park Police Department.

"I want to thank Officer Coffin and Sgt. Engel of the Prospect Park Police Department and Delaware County Animal Control for this assistance in this case."

YORK COUNTY MEAT PROCESSOR GUILTY OF SELLING VENISON
READING - A Felton, York County, man recently was found guilty of selling venison out of his Crossroads meat processing operation, according to Pennsylvania Game Commission officials.

Game Commission Wildlife Conservation Officer Guy A. Hansen used DNA testing to determine the pork sausage being sold by Richard F. Klinefelter contained deer meat. During the investigation, which lasted more than a year, Game Commission Special Investigative officers bought more than 500 pounds of deer meat from Klinefelter.

District Justice Nancy Edie, on May 21, found Klinefelter guilty of eight counts of illegally selling venison and ordered him to pay $2,400 in fines. She also ordered him to pay more than $3,760 in restitution for the cash paid Klinefelter by the Game Commission Special Investigative officers.

"Based on tips from confidential informants, we were buying pounds and pounds of deer meat," WCO Hansen said.  "We're still not sure where all of the deer meat came from."

#    #    #
PPHA District 3