Author Topic: The wind direction  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Chuckieo

The wind direction
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »
Hey friends, I'm new here. I'm glad I found this forum because everything I've learned about calling has been on my own, over the years. My question is, What do you guys do when the wind isn't blowing favorably?? There are many places where I could just go over on the other side of fifty acres and the wind would be in my face. Unfortunately many times that's not possible, due to houses, posted land on that side and so forth
Do you throw caution to the wind and set up anyways, and hope not to get busted? Or just wait for another time when the wind may be blowing left to right or right to left or in your face?

I got a new caller with a remote. I'm hoping if I can set that caller out there with a moving decoy, it will help steer the predator's attention away from me. Have any of you done this with any luck? I also use red fox urine nearby or a long distance call lure to TRY to cover up human scent and hopefully attract the fox or yodel dog. Please give me advice as to the wind. Some of my buddies say to place the speaker facing into the wind. Does this help? Others say to call with the direction of the wind. What is best? This wind thing has always been a little problem for me.

I've killed my share of grey fox but it seems like the reds use the wind more for their advantage. And of course, I've been busted by yotes before I even got to set up. They yap and make their funny noises, sometimes 200 yards away with the wind blowing at them.

Sorry I'm so long winded. But I'm really excited about this forum and I hope to make some new friends along the way, Good hunting to all of you. Let'em have it when they come a runnin' in. lol  ;D

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: The wind direction
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
you can try and set up cross wind from your caller since it is a remote.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 06:12:46 PM »
I would not call them till you can get in with a favorable wind.  you are only hurting yourself IMO calling it no matter what the wind is. 

if your calling at night I always keep the call close by.  within 10ft most of the time if not right in front of me.  kill em before they get down wind.  depending on the location you can setup with the your down wind clear or and obstacle to your downwind.  I suggest buying dave kaprocki's book on calling fox.  he breaks down a bunch of scenarios on how to setup for fox in different types of areas.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:00:17 PM »
I agree with Ben.Don't hunt that area unless the wind is in your favor.If you can come in a different way or circle around I would do it.Don't make it to easy for them as they will take advantage of it almost everytime.Come back another night if that's what it takes.