Author Topic: Heard tell the Ten Pointer crossbow is one of the best  (Read 4552 times)

uncle buck

Heard tell the Ten Pointer crossbow is one of the best
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:57:57 AM »
Anyone own a Ten Pointer crossbow?  Are you happy or unhappy with it? What do you suggest for FPS in a crossbow for all hunting of big game in Pa? Would you prefer the kind you crank to draw or the one that 50% less pressure is required to cock it? Actually anything you can throw out their about Crossbows I would appreciate it..

I'm going to get me a crossbow this year and I can't wait to use Ernie Wilson shooting rest with it too!!!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:00:29 AM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Heard tell the Ten Pointer crossbow is one of the best
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:04:34 AM »
I have a wicked ridge which is made by ten point. I like mine and it shoots good. Just remember its still a bow. And you need to practice as well as know when to shoot.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »
Before buying one for my 'wife', I shot several crossbows to compare them including the 'famous' ten point. I ended up settling for the Barnet Ghost 350. It is much smoother, quieter, and easier to handle with even a better trigger. The reason I hear ten points are so expensive is because you pay for it twice and need to hang on to your warranty card and receipt because you will need it. Again, that is all hear-say and I just got my low opinion of them from shooting a couple different models. Do some research, and shoot different brands, and don't listen to the sales guy unless you know him very well. ;D

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »
I have a Horton, it  had problems when i first bought it, went through 2 sets of limbs, one exploded, the other cracked.  they replaced them no questions asked.  bow has been fine since.  has to be at least 6 or 7 years old now.  if i were in the market for a new one i would look at the excalibur.  i know people that have them and havent had a problem, they are a little quiter and they are accurate.  no practice needed with a crossbow, you just need to know your distances.  mines shoots flat to 20 yards, 2nd line for 30 yards and put it inbetween for 25.   

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
I would stil practice with it. Too many do the same with their rifles
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »
Your bow string will strech over time and your sights will need re-adjusted.  It is still very important if you want to shoot long distances to practice several times a week. That way you are used to the trigger and have full confidence in your bow and in yourself. 

Offline smokey

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »
I Had An Excaliber A Few Years Back And Loved It.  They Are A Great Shooting Xbow.  Last Year I Researched And Bought A Horton Havoc.  You Have To Shoot This Xbow before You Buy Anything.  Just My 2 Pennies Of information!

Smokey

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »
I bought the Excalibur Exocet (200#) with the illuminated scope last fall. I bought my bow from a pro shop (not a big box store) that sold several different models and shot them all. I shot a Barnett, Horton,
Ten point (my buddy's), and Excalibur. The Barnett, and Horton had a lot of plastic parts on them. I did not want to spend more than $1100 bucks, and got my excal. for under $900. I could have spent way less, but the quality just wasn't there. I stood by the you get what you pay for approach.

The main reasons I bought the Excalibur:

1) so my 9 year old daughter can use it to hunt turkeys and deer.

2) simplicity of the design. You can change a string in the field if you need to.
    You don't need a pro shop and a bow press.

3) fewer moving parts...less to go wrong at the wrong time.

4) rave reviews of the customer service provided by Excalibur.

5) the weight of the Excalibur is just over 6# The ten points I shot were near 8#         
    unless you spend 2 grand on a carbon fiber model.

So far I have been extremely happy with this bow. I have not kept track of my total shots, but it has been quite a bit. The string is showing no sign of needing replaced. I do keep it waxed like you should.

Hope this helps you some Uncle Buck!
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:57:15 PM »
Before buying one for my 'wife', I shot several crossbows to compare them including the 'famous' ten point. I ended up settling for the Barnet Ghost 350. It is much smoother, quieter, and easier to handle with even a better trigger. The reason I hear ten points are so expensive is because you pay for it twice and need to hang on to your warranty card and receipt because you will need it. Again, that is all hear-say and I just got my low opinion of them from shooting a couple different models. Do some research, and shoot different brands, and don't listen to the sales guy unless you know him very well. ;D
Now that's funny....ive shot both and own both Barnett and Ten Point....and have shot a few others...but I settled into a Turbo XLT....may shoot alittle slower 345 fps to Barnett's 365fps...but you can t beat Ten points trigger or quietness...just do a few reviews...and you ll read the truth.........Barnett's are known for strings..cables..limbs...and no very good cranks....just my experience.....Ten Point is one of the top companies....
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:30 PM »
I have a ten point I won in a raffle and seem to like it. To be truthful though I haven't shot it much since I still can use my compound but it seems to be a quality piece of equipment.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association