Author Topic: District 5 crow hunt results  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
District 5 crow hunt results
« on: July 13, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
I met up with a fellow member, Tom, at his haunts around Bruin Pa.
Crows did not cooperate as much as they should have.
We got a few shots, saw some wildlife, and had a great time talking and enjoying the camaraderie in some beautiful country.
Also, Tom bought me an awesome breakfast after the hunt,
Thanks Tom

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: District 5 crow hunt results
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Nice Job.  Also nice to see other members.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:49:09 AM »
Yeah its good to see other people! i'm no expert on crows, or anything for that matter, but I  never thought i'd see a set up for crows in the woods?? I thought the plan was to find a field edge with a dead tree in it?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »
This set up had a big hole in the canopy that the birds would drop into and circle around the trees

Offline Outdoors_man

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 11:28:33 AM »
Leglifter,  Thanks for the kind words but the pleasure was mine.

Critterslayer51,  Birds will sometimes come under the canopy(if conditions are right) and make for some fast and very close shooting.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »
Outdoors_man, thanks for sharing that bit of info.  I am not a very good crow hunter but thats because I don't know anything about them. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »
I prefer my setups for crows in woods.  I never hunted fields till I hunted with others.  I still prefer woods.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »
Leglifter , Loooks like a Tar Ball with wings. LOL

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:28:27 PM »
Thats a nice size crow too...Thanks for sharing the hunt..

Me when I do hunt crows.....I like a tree line along a farm field... I try to find a stand at that has a real high spot in the field... I hide in the tree line... Also you want the wind to your back... Most birds will always fly into the wind. Using owl decoy or hawk decoy and crow decoys I use electronics or  (Hunter Speicalties or Johnny Stewart) Hammeren crow call to lure the crows in... The crows come into the call. They fly into the wind. They come from the bottom of the fields at 100 yards above the field however as the fly to my position they do not know it but they are losing yards.. When they get to the top of the hill they are no longer 100 yards above the field..they are 20 yards and in shotgun range.. Make sure the wind is at your back since if it the wind is  in your face they will  circle and  come from your backside and be 100 yards above you....I also like to use a pump shotgun and black jersey gloves.  The pumping of the gloves sometimes makes the live crows think there are other crows at bush level and you can get a few more shots off...   

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »
UB, you need to write a book. You have valuable hunting knowledge that needs to be put on paper.
President PPHA

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:02:42 PM »
UB, you should do our newsletter the Howler. You would make a huge difference in this club.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »
Leglifter
Nice going, Crows and good food. Makes me want to get out and crow hunt some, it is a good way to spend a day.

For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!