Author Topic: 6.5 aka 264 Caliber  (Read 1863 times)

uncle buck

6.5 aka 264 Caliber
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
6.5 X 55 Swede,  6.5 X 284  Norma,  6.5  X 47 Lapua,  6.5 BRM (Bench Rest Magnum), 260 Rem, 264 Win Magnum, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Jap, 6.5 Italian

Many caliber are avail in the 6.5 but so hard to make a determination of which is the best to own. The first...6.5 Swede and the 6.5 Jap and Italian are military calibers of course...

You start to read up on all of the 6.5 and you may find that 260 Rem was mfg because the factory ammo can be more powerful then the 6.5 Swede factory ammo.  However if you reload then owning a 260 or  a 6.5 swede is no big problem..You don't reload then a 260 would be better then the 6.5 Swede.

Also if you want the above calbiers in a single shot then......a rimed case would be better then a rimless because of less of a head space problem..

Velocities...Does it matter if the velocities of a calbiers is 200 more or 200 less.  Such a minor difference does it really matter?

Then you get a 6.5 BRM.. This caliber is mfg by E. A. Brown...Now they sale the dies, the cases, and factory bullets too.  However what if you ever wanted to sale this barrel down the road would someone buy it?  Would have have to stock up on cases so you could have the cases  to reload if E. A. Brown stopped selling the special factory ammo..  Did not check yet to see if the 6.5 BRM is a rimed case..Now if this is true then yep that why it would shoot better in a Encore barrel.

Maybe just maybe someone would have to almost flow chart (cross reference) all these  caliber...You know but all the data you have on this calibers and compare it on one sheet of paper in front of you.

I have always wanted to get a 6.5 Swede...However you see all of the 6.5 calibers out there and you wonder which one is the all around best calibers for shooting deer and maybe long range shooting..

I know E. A. Brown always praises the 6.5 BRM for deer and varmint hunting..However this is their own caliber so someone is going to push it as the best...

I suppose on the cross reference data one would to have to annotate who really uses this caliber.. Some could be a bench rest target caliber...Could be the 6.5 Lapua is of that type???

Also it was the 6.5 Italian that was used to kill President Kennedy and wound Connolly the 22 of November...Maybe?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:38:07 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: 6.5 aka 264 Caliber
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:02:30 PM »
unclebuck
My brother has a 264 win mag. Thing kicks like a mule, but deer fall right over most of the time.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!