Author Topic: Salt Cured Bait  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Salt Cured Bait
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »
Tony and I cured about 20 gallons of coon bait this afternoon, put up in 5 gallon buckets with chunked fish covered with rock salt...First time either of us have tried it, so we'll see how it goes!
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: Salt Cured Bait
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
i planed on doing it this summer but never got the time.  should work good, i would rince it off first in the creek before i through it down the hole.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 01:33:35 AM »
I haven't smelled it yet so can't be too bad  ;D...hopefully I can rig myself up a grinder and make some paste out of the next batch of fish for use in pvc elbow sets, so much to do!
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Renny

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:13:32 PM »
I've read on more than one forum that coon will refuse heavily salted bait.  Me...... I like salt and would be buried to my elbow.

Offline cooncrazy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:13:22 PM »
don't throw out any juice that floats up,it works good also!

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:25:28 AM »
haha me too renny, i'd be screwed for sure if there was middlesworth chips or salt with a side of french fries in the back of a pocket haha...so I hope it works, if not i've got a lot of chunked fish in salt...although, the jone's video shows them guys puttin half a cup of pickling salt to 2 gallons of ground up bait to hold it better at the set...and they seem to be piling up coon...wolernation was where I got the idea after watchin one of clints vids...maybe they're only catching the coons with low enough blood pressure to take on the extra salt  ???
              "CritterDone"