Author Topic: forrest got a new coyote/fox trap for christmas  (Read 4540 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
forrest got a new coyote/fox trap for christmas
« on: December 25, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »
we can use some tips on setting

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: forrest got a new coyote/fox trap for christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »
Scott
Start a bait station and keep the trap set with the best bait you can come up with. Sooner or later one will get brave in try and get it.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
we shoot a lot of rabbits, should i use a 1/2 of one that is shot up or would a squirrel would be better.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 06:14:46 PM »
Could make it more like a den..Put something over it to take away all that shinny surface.. Just make sure the trap will function with something on top...Maybe a piece of rubber don't use a plastic tarp. Suppose you could place a bit of branches over it too.  Or maybe setting it a s close as possible to a structure.. They might think it's a part of the structure.. Say place it along the barn or an old shed so they think it just a part of the farmers shed that been there all of their lifetime... Remember LURE will call in all animals so you don't really need food... If you want to use food how about some ALPO in the can.  Put in some glycerin so it won't freeze.. I use it all the time for fox when I do want to use a bait for cable restraints...In a pinch I have used mineral oil so the bait does not freeze.. However trapping lure alone should draw them into the trap without even using food..

Um wonder if you weaved some type of plant  reed material in and out of the trap wired surface..at least in the first foot of trap that sticks out.  you could also place the trap inside of a larger container making them think it's like a shed??????

I know when I catch chucks in the traps in heavly populated areas...I have to cover the trap and make it look like an extension of their hole..

Did the trap come with the Havehart bait book... I know it use to say for weary animals open both ends for a few days and allow them to run through without getting caught.. Then after awhile trigger it and you should catch animals that normally would not enter a box trap and in great quantity too..

You will have to let us know how he does?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 06:48:47 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
Try putting brush all over it in a brushy surrounding( clear of the door) and some grassy material on the floor, I've heard that walking on the
metal spooks them some

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »
What leglifter said.
Large bait (Muskrat, Mink, Rabbit, Squirrel, Deer scraps) wired down.
Also lure. Lure will have more calling power, but they want food this time of year (or any time of year)
When using live traps always stabilize trap. Use stick, stone, corn stalk to keep trap from wobbling.
Dig depression under the pan and place some bait/lure there also. When trap is set in place, there will be bait that they just can't get at without firing the pan.
Set live trap on location. Location, location, location.
If the boy uses foothold traps....
Have him set one or two foot traps to the side or back of trap. Blend in trap. This is a 'blind set'.
Often a critter circles live traps. Often the critter doesn't enter, just circles. This blind set will solve that problem and keep life interesting.

Renny

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »
All good advice.  Good luck!!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »
Renny,
Nice set, that looks narrow and high, whats the dimensions of that trap.

Cat set??

Renny

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »
Yes, for cats.  I can't remember the dementions off hand but I can measure it for you when I get a chance.  The object is to have it wide enough they feel comfortable enough to enter but not turn around.

Renny

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »
Heres another tip.  Make sure your trigger is not frozen over.

Renny

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »
Heres what Hern is talking about when he mentions putting footholds around a box trap.  I wont do it at this location because if I catch a cat I want to release it without any foot issues during the extreme cold weather.  There are a few grey fox in this area which is what I want.  It would be very easy to pinch them down when circling and put in a blind set.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »
how did those traps do for you renny?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Renny

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »
What do you mean howd they do?  Critter wise?  If I wanted to put up numbers I would leave the cages at home.....