Author Topic: Graple Hooks?  (Read 4148 times)

uncle buck

Graple Hooks?
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »
I have them but never used them.  I know what they are for..When you want to trap near roads and don't want people to see your catch..They the targeted animal runs off with the trap and gets the grapples hung up in nearby bushes...

Now do you use them for all targeted animals or is grapples used for coon only?  Also don't you attach a spring type device to the grapple to so when the critter pulls on it it has the spring affect and they really can pull out of the trap that easy.

That must be something when you do find the critter in the bush and you go for it..

I suppose you could tell which direction the animal ran with the trap right?  You would see drag marks in the mud if there is mud?  Do you put something like orange on the grapple so you can spot it?   Understanding the orange would be buried under the ground with the grapples.

How close should the trap be set to vegatation for this to work properly? Suppose if the woods is a ways off it could be hard to find the critter???

Just thinking about this and thought I would ask everything about grapple hooks?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:44:44 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Graple Hooks?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
UB, Use long chain (minimum 6') and heavy drag (2 lbs - 4 lbs) for canines. I use the same for Coon.
With long chain, many times a critter has chain wrapped around something and drag is laying on ground.
Lite weight, 2 prong, rod grapples don't work as good as heavier grapples (drags). They bounce, causing them to not hang up at times.
I haven't had problems since I switched to a heavier drag.
No spring devise is needed for drags.
Common sense is to use drags closer to cover. Just look for critter at the closest cover.
But trap'n things are written in stone...One season the ground was frozen hard and deep with 6"=8" of snow on the ground. I set traps with drags 300 yards from the nearest cover. Lots of Reds moved back to this location and I had to set it...LOL. None of the Reds I caught made it to the cover. All were hung up on corn stubbles. Cut corn stalks in the wide open.
Finding or following critter on a drag can test you at times. If critter is caught and hits the cover then it snows...well a routine trap check can turn into an Africa safari!! At this time it's good to carry the .22LR rifle and leave the pistol in the truck.
I leave drag lay on the ground behind set and cover with weeds, leaves or ground litter. I do dig a narrow channel to lay the chain below the ground for a foot or two from the set.
Place a Golden Rod, small branch, corn stalk (something natural) at your drag. That way you can check from long distance with binos. If your flag is down...go check closer.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 04:02:46 PM »
(L. to R.) J.C. Conner drag, J.C. Conner pivot drag, Homemade drag

all have 6'-7' of #3, single link chain...

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 06:36:01 PM »
Dang! We used something like that in the USCG to find submerged bodies?????Thanks for sharing the pictures..

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 05:37:43 AM »
UB, I solved alot of problems when I started using longer change and heavier drags. Didn't take me long to switch.

Renny

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:01:58 AM by Renny »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:19:46 AM »
Is the pink ribbon just to help locate easier?  Do you also use that as an attractor for cats?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:20:07 PM »
Shut up Tim!

Renny, how far did the cat get from the set?

Is that a #4?
and skidder chain on the drag? or battle ship anchor chain?
( just funnin)

Renny

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 02:41:45 PM »
I use the ribbon to find the drag easier and to check from a distance as Hern said.  There is so much ribbon around these parts now days because of the gas fields that it doesn't even stick out.  I would hide them better if in a area with less ribbon around.  In a high theft area I wouldnt use them at all for the obvious reason of ease and plus these style drags are a bit pricey.

Thats a #3 Bridger on about 9 foot of chain.  The chain is a little heavier than it needs to be (hehe), but its what I had laying around.  As you can see I don't walk far so weight is no biggie.

The trap was set just above the cats head on the edge of that moltifloral rose bush and the drag was tossed back in the bush.  It wasn't that big of a cat and made it farther than I thought it would. Maybe 15 - 20 feet.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
Renny, don't smoke the catnip!

Renny

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
Smoke em if you got em........ 8)