Author Topic: very slow year  (Read 3020 times)

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
very slow year
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:34:47 AM »
I caught the red yote right away and a couple coon but my season is not going to meet my goals. I scouted for rats this summer, but when I went to set, no sign, set traps for a week and nothing. got a total of 5 coon, 1 yote, 1 skunk, 2 possum.  I know the coon are they I guess I must change the way I am doing something.

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
very slow year
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »
I found this yr that most of the coon in my area are up on the hills not down near the creeks. But we have a very very good crop of wild grapes this yr. or maybe I'm just getting them before they make it down towards the creeks. Overall I'm haveing a fairly good yr. so far.
PPHA District 3

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
very slow year
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:36:45 PM »
I havn't done much trapping this year but I am amazed at the lack of Coon sign compared to other years.......Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
very slow year
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:16:37 AM »
after this weekend I am going to pull everything and re set at another farm. I will set away froom the streams. thinking of going and buying new coon lure.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
very slow year
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 12:27:59 PM »
Coyotejeff hit the nail on the head.   The coon are not on the creeks.  We had a bumper crop of grapes, devils club and acorns this year.  I would make some dirtholes in the grapevines if you have them.   Use an old stump for a backing.   Another thing to look for is any big old trees that stand out.   Usually you'll find they like leave their mark there.  Coon sign is a lot harder to find in the woods.

I couldn't set near as many traps at the beginning of the season as usual because of a broken rib, so that put me behind.  I have been seeing it unusually slow in my area also.  Farms that usually produce good numbers of fox and coyote are not producing much at all.   I figure I'm at about half were I usually am at this time of the year.

Hey Jeff, any luck on those coyotes?

Offline DOG ENEMY

• Junior Forum Member
sorry
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 12:44:39 AM »
???
My karma's shot!