Author Topic: Rifle thoughts  (Read 5786 times)

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
Rifle thoughts
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
I currently have a Remington 700 Varmint .223 with a bull barrel, but honestly I'm getting tired of how heavy it is.  Especially since I hardly see anything.  I'm far from giving up on the predator hunting as I enjoy being out in the woods at night.  I might shop around over the summer for a new rifle that isn't a bull barrel.

For some reason I can't get a .17 Fireball out of my head.  I know the new hoopla is the .17 Hornet and .17 WSM, but how do they compare?
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Rifle thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »
I couldn't tell as I have neither of those, but I can tell you this I'd never give up my .223 for anything when it comes to predator hunting. JMHO though
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
Shadow...Look for a Ruger Mdl 77 compact in 223 :o :o...I have one and it shoots fantastic...Light contoured barrel, and will reach out and touch anything you can currently reach with the bull.... ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 07:04:44 PM »
I have all the 17 family,they all are good fur guns.But If I could only use 1 gun only,It would be my Winchester mod 70 feather weight 243 wsm,87 grain v-max.
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll fetch ya another!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
I like all the guns, I just do not like some some bullet types.
The right bullet changes how good a caliber will work on different game. Today every body sells balistic tip bullets. They have there spot I guess, I just have never found there spot other then poking holes in paper.
I too like all the center fire 17s and the 243 but I shoot the 87 gr. BTHP
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:22:41 PM »
It seems every couple years a new round comes out and then the quietly disappear.  I have some guns on my wish list.  Some for predators and some for deer.  It seems like everytime I set my sights on something I get nervous and change my mind.  I do have a .243, but wouldn't that blow a fox up?

Here is my current wish list.  Some are really hard to find rounds and they will probably cost me a bunch.  Hopefully before I leave this world I have each of these in my safe.

20 gauge sxs
16 gauge sxs
.17 Fireball
.17 WSM
.220 Swift
.223 wssm
.243 wssm
.25 wssm
.257 Roberts

U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:35:11 PM »
Im still not sure what the point was behind the wssm cartridges. Most are obsolete now.

Like ernie said bullets make a big difference between the type of wound channel your get. I have been using sierra gamekings in my .223 and it has been the most consistant preformer for me. Knockdown and low fur damage.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »
Yea, the 243 is too much for Fox. I was just stating what I shoot.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »
Yeah Ben I understand alot of wssm had issues, but for some reason I love the fat little bullets.  I would honestly use the .25 wssm for deer because of it matching a 25-06.  It would be more about the uniqueness for me.  Plus I reload so it would be fun to try loads.

BW,
I haven't tried any predator loads with my .243 yet.  Still using the .223 with Barnes VG.  The few I have shot have had little fur damage and I do think this would be the norm.  I would just like a few more test subjects,lol.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
 ;) ;)Test subjects= ferral cats :o :o JMHO 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:22:02 PM »
Hey Goose,   Not only are they good test subjects, there is no market value for their pelts.  Old timers used the pelt for fox bait.   Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 11:03:01 PM »
I don't shoot any cats or dogs.  I posted why once.  Had a fox hunter shoot my cat on our property when I was a kid.  A lady I spoke with about my missing dog told me she stopped allowing hunting because of an incident with a hunter.  A guy she let hunt actually drove in her yard partially to hit her cat.  She told him no more hunting and shut her property down.  The guy would drive by, slow down, then gun it if any of her animals were out.  I told her she should have called the cops.  Im in no way saying any of you are like that, but would be weary of bragging about it.  Loose lips sink ships.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 10:15:05 PM »
Shadow...,    The 25wssm ain't the 25-06.  Read Munnell's article in Varmint Hunter, this month.  He is one of the Knowing and Truthful gun writers.  If you can't believe him then ignorance is bliss.  As to the fox hunter killing a cat when you were a "kid", it's a shame that you haven't grown out of it.  Dick

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 11:16:07 PM »
Papa, 

I know the .25 wssm isn't the same, but its close.  Either way I just think it would be a neat round to mess with.

As for the cat thing its a persons choice.  I don't do it and would steer my children away from it also.  If other hunters feel comfortable doing it that's their choice.  We know feral cats are a problem, but some people just see a cat.  I warn against the bragging because it can be used and seen in a very negative light.  My exact words to my soldiers during OIF 3, "If you do something in a combat zone that you know will offend others keep your mouth shut and dont take pictures.". And as for me growing out of my cat that was a great lesson.  Your a better person if you walk away with an open mind to the situation.

Here is what I learned.  A man broke his word and wasn't in any way sorry.  He was disrespectful to my family by doing this.  So I can come to your house and shoot your pet?  Or maybe your child's or grandchilds pet?
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »
If you want to "mess Around" w/the 25WSSM and you reload then you owe it to yourself to follow the manuels closely and you should read the article that I posted for you.  As to your Cat Phobia-Forget it.  Dick