Author Topic: Squirrel season today did not hear one shot  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Squirrel season today did not hear one shot
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
Times changed around here for these little guys. When I was a kid they were hunted by a fair amount of hunters. Today it seams no one is interested in them. Maybe everyone archery hunts now and I think our hunting culture has changed a lot to. What do you think? 
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Squirrel season today did not hear one shot
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 09:43:14 PM »
Hunting is loosing ground today. DYING SPORT. Kids would rather play with iPods,ipads, computers etc. To much posted land in Pennsylvania to make it worth it. Hunting takes exercise. Look at all the fat kids in this world.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:47:47 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »
I went bow hunting this afternoon and did not hear one shot either. I did however, hear several quads and dirt bikes, dogs barking, people yelling, and kids screaming. Just a typical day in the woods. I did see four doe doing mach two flying five yards from my blind tho.
President PPHA

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »
we hunted today, forrest missed one and got one, jackie missed one.  we didn't see many at all, the wind must have had them not moving.  I did watch a guy drag a doe out he had shot with the inline. 

I can say this, most of my baseball team hunts, they are always talking about what they get and how the one got away.  it is a lot of fun to sit and listen to them talk about hunting. 

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
I always like to get out at least once for squirrel.. Seems I am so into fox and predator hunting that seems to take up much of my time..
Use to hunt small game every Saturday with my brother...That is when ringneck was abundant... Miss the rabbit hunts too.  Also I use to eat, sleep, and what ever for ruffed grouse...Kind of my real favorite small game.. My brother and I use to hunt them every Saturday after Christmas also on days off during the holiday season. Again it was the fox and predators that keep me from doing that also....

When I do hunt squirrel..I like to call them to me and use a 410 shotgun to harvest...I think again...It's the calling thing that lures me to do this at least once a year..Many times it might be the Friday or Saturday before buck season just to check areas I am going to hunt deer come that following Monday opener...

I am looking forward to hunting for squirrel many days when my grandson is ready to hunt safe during a mentor hunt..

By the way...did you ever have roast squirrel... Put all kind of vegtables around it in a roaster and roast them all in the oven.  Cabbage, potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, a few round onions and a squirrel...That ain't half bad!!!!!!!!!!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
How do you call a squirrel?

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »
Very little shootin in our woods also.

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »
How do you call a squirrel?

I use a Tally Ho open reed predator call to make barks and squirrel chatter.. It works great...Just turn the Tally Ho around. The reed will be now sticking out in the front of the call... Pull air into the call making the red in front vibrate and make it chatter and bark like a squirrel...

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 07:45:58 PM »
Primos makes a good squirrel call.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
You just have to sound like a nut..

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
"Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut Sometimes You Don't!"  Peter Paul candy commercial of course....Almond Joy and Mounds...

No they run right at you... Always joked to a few on here that you need to put a bayonet on your 410 shotgun.  That's how close the squirrel get when they charge you when you do this chatter and barks...