Predator Hunting > Predator Hunting

Calling Tips

(1/2) > >>

greenspace:
Hi Folks,

I'm a long-time hunter, but I've only been at predator (red fox) hunting for a couple of years.  After reading a lot about it on the web, I'm esssentially self taught, usually using rabbit distress and/or a whining reed call held between teeth that my wife bought somewhere.   I've had some success, but know I can do better.  So far this year, I've only called in one, and I missed a quick shot at him!

I'd like to improve my calling technique and variety.  Looking for really good instructions, geared primarily towards fox.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

PS:  Anyone aware of any coyotes in SE Chester County?  I haven't come across any in my home area yet.

bigben:
get yourself a bulb squeker and try that out at all your stands before anything else.  this is so you will get that close one.  make sure you are not too loud.  also do you hunt at night or during the day

Tracker:
Keep it simple.
How are you going about it now?
Try to ask more specific questions.

greenspace:
I generally hunt early morning, or evening until dark, but not in the dark.  I'm afraid of upsetting nearby neighbors by shooting at night.  Most would probably suspect I was poaching deer.

After quietly getting to my spots, and waiting a couple of minutes, I'll usually start off with 30-60 seconds of rabbit distress, in short screams, moderate to loud volume.  Then wait a minute or two.  Then repeat.  Three or four times total.  Then I'll usually switch to the lower volume whining call, similar sequence.  I've had foxes come in at every stage of this process.

I bought a squeaker bulb this year, but haven't used it much yet.  What kind of sequence would you recommend?  Also, I read somewhere that a real rabbit distress will be the same volume, whether the fox is close or not, and it won't scare them off.  I have to believe there's some truth to that.

bigben:
I start most of my stands off with a squeaker bulb.  new louden isn't that far away from me If you want to go out some time I will be happy to take you.  also a real rabbit might be that loud but sometimes reds get timid when something happens suddenly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version