Author Topic: 22 mag question.  (Read 2163 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
22 mag question.
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »
I have a Marlin 22 mag that I never had a problem with till one day I cleaned in. I have cleaned it in the past and it never went off sight. This last time I cleaned it and went out a couple weeks ago and shot at a opossum and missed it. I shot the gun the next day and I could not get a group. I removed the bolt and looked down the barrel and it was filthy. I cleaned it again and tried to re-sight it in and yet again the first shot was high and every one after was dropping. After 3 shots I removed the bolt again and it was horribly filthy again. Could I possibly had some bad bullets? Or th It was the last 15 of 50 that this suddenly started to happen. The bullets are the Remington 33gr. accutip-v bullets. Any thoughts?
FayetteNam

Offline FoxPro17

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: 22 mag question.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:52:17 PM »
my father had a .308 that had gotten a bur on the crown of the barrel that couldn't hold a group just threw bullets everywhere try checking the crown end not the bolt end

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 22 mag question.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:40:04 PM »
sounds to me like a bad batch of ammo. your barrel should not be that dirty after one shot....or 5 for that matter. might be a bad batch of powder i'm thinking. one question...is this a new box of ammo yoru shooting when this started to happen? if so....

write down the lot # from your box and keep in your wallet. when you go to buy more bounce the lot # from the box your buying to the one you have in your wallet. just a suggestion as i'd think you'd be hard pressed to get your money back from the box you have now.

try a new box with a different lot# and see what transpires...
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock