Author Topic: My Texas trip...pictures  (Read 15317 times)

Offline sly_vixen

• Junior Forum Member
My Texas trip...pictures
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:56:01 PM »
I recently returned home from Texas where I hunted with Glenn Guess and his wife, Michelle. Glenn and Michelle take great pride in their hunting abilities and success. They are a tight knit family, that hold tremendous value to the hunting world. Keep an eye out on these two incredible hunters, because they are unsurpassed.
On the first evening, I harvested a jake, with my Remington 12 gauge. We worked a mature bird, who was slick enough to stay out of range and waltz away with his hen friends. This jake showed up, just about on my lap, with a different mature bird, again just out of range. Just about the time we spotted each other, it was too late for him at less than 10 yards. It was just a jake, but I was beaming. 3 other birds were gobbling, but I was glad for what I got. I knew that I had more time and would try for a mature bird on another day.
Day #2, we had 3 jakes come in, but I was hoping for a long beard. So we left on a good note and in hopes that the next day would pan out golden.
Day#3, we went to a different spot. We were on for turkey hunting, until Glenn spotted giant hog tracks. We ditched the idea of turkey hunting and took off in search of wild beasts. When we got bored with trying to find him, Glenn jammed the gears and wondered if I would be into trying to call in a coyote. Let me just say, if there is one thing I am really starting to love about Texas, it is that if one thing you are trying to hunt for isn't coming together nicely, you just go after something else. Glenn and I set up for coyote hunting and it didn't take long for this dry female to show up. Coated with fleas and was packing a horrific smell. Her fleas were jumping on me while we were trying to get a good picture.
Day#4, Glenn and Michelle took me to a new place, where we had a few birds gobbling, but the bachelors never showed up. I suppose that crossing a high creek, wasn't worth getting a girlfriend. Gobblers can be so easy one time and then the next, difficult. Oh well, another day was only a night's sleep away.
Day #5, We headed back to where I had shot that bird, the first day. The morning was promising as the sun was coming up, gobblers were sounding off. However, a nasty swamp between us, kept them away. Later in the morning, we heard some birds gobbling on our side of the swamp. I had never taken a gobbler with a rifle and decided I'd like to give it a shot. We aren't allowed to do that here in PA and I don't know where else I would get the chance to do so. There were 3 gobblers hanging together. I picked one out and left him have it. He had a decent beard and after I shot, I went running to him. Ah, another jake. Respectable beard at 6 1/2" though. Glenn has a beard pulling technique that I asked him to show me again on this bird. Yep, he pulled if off alright.  I seen more beard there, instantly, I thought, oh man, you left some on. ???NO!!! This gobbler actually had 3 beards. I was shocked. Below is a picture of the gobbler and a picture I took of his 3 beards when I got home. Once again, turkeys weren't talking much so Glenn and I set up to call coyotes again. After sitting there for sometime, the cows came running across the prairie with a coyote in front of them, hauling butt. Funny, because right behind the cows was another coyote. I didn't get a chance to get the gun up, but seeing the coyotes was neat. We continued to try for another gobbler, but we were left empty handed. I thought to myself, the evening would be better. Glenn and I set up between a field and a roosting area. Sure enough a big'ole tom came into the area with a few gal pals. Gobbling his head off. I caught a few glimpses of him in full strut. My blood was on fire as I thought for sure this would be the big tom, I was hoping for. It was unbelievably thick and I couldn't see him, but we could hear him, strumming (strutting/drumming) loudly. So frustrating, because I knew he was so close. I never got a shot, because all in a second I was busted and he was out of there. On the way out Glenn and I held a good attitude about what happened and I simply thought, "That bird, just wasn't meant for me today." On the way out, I stopped in my tracks to the sound of pigs, fighting. Nothing lights Glenn up faster than the sound of hogs, fighting. He stopped for a second to say, "pigs...they're fighting, lets go"!!! Just like that, I lost him in all the brush. Once I finally caught up to him, he was already watching them. I picked one out that was coming right to us, less than 20 yards away. I shot him with Glenn's .243. When he dropped it got pretty interesting, when they scattered. You just didn't know if they were coming or going, so staying ready is key. If there is one thing I learned it is that hogs can blend into an environment, easily. Glenn had picked out another hog that returned back to the trail and it took me a second to confirm that what I seen was that same hog. "I got him!", and pulled the trigger. This hog, also dropped. The first hog, was one I was hoping for to mount. A black one with a grizzled muzzle. The second hog was what Glenn referred to as a blue butted hog. He told me it was the first of its kind they have shot in their area. I felt special to have shot such a trophy, that I'm also going to mount him, as well. We met up with Michelle, took pictures and packed out the hogs, for supper. The top picture is of the hog, I harvested first. The bottom picture is of Glenn and I with my second hog.
Day#6, man I was beat. I had hiked and hunted my feet off. The blisters on heels and the cuts on my ankles, from my snake boots had me wanting to take a break. Not to mention the late night we had skinning pig heads out. Glenn and Michelle have some of the best kids, I have ever met and when I'm there 2 or 3 of them are talking to me at the same time. (lol...it is really cute.) It was worth staying up on the weekend to hear their exciting hunting stories. We rested the next morning away, and planned on just hunting the evening. That evening, Glenn and Michelle picked me up at my motel room and off we went. This was my last chance at getting a mature gobbler on the last day of their turkey season. After talking it over, we decided to go back into where that bird had busted me the evening before. For 2 hours, that bird had me on edge. My feet and legs were asleep. Finally, we broke his will and he offered me a shot with my Remington 12 gauge. We crawled through poison ivy, but I'll tell you what...no mosquito, tick, lice, poison, snake, chigger, cactus, or bull nettle was going to keep me from what I really wanted and that was a mature Rio Grande. This was the hardest gobbler, I have ever had to work for in the few years I have been spring turkey hunting. Since I started hunting turkeys, I heard how easy Rios are to hunt. If there is one thing I found out, a turkey, is a turkey, is a turkey!!! Easy one day, impossible the next! Instinctive, because every thing has them on the menu from the time they are an egg. It was no easy task to take a big gobbler on the last day of their season and it cost me 80+ mosquito bites, one tick bite, 2 cut ankles, 2 blistered heels, cuts, scrapes and bruises that I can't account for. All that, to harvest a Rio Grande long beard...priceless! Plus the miles and miles of Texas barbwire tore up just about every piece of camo, I own. Just about the time you think you have cleared going over, through or underneath barbwire, it grabs ahold of you and doesn't let go. For those who lack Suzy homemaker skills, duct tape works best to repair ripped up hunting pants. ha!
Glenn, his brother, my Michelle and I were worn out. In high spirits, of a tough evening hunt. Glenn asked if we were up to some night calling. After sleeping the morning away, I was good to go. A bobcat, bobcat, bobcat was all I kept talking about. It was a dark, still night...perfect for hunting with friends and bobcats as it turned out. The sky was clear and I spotted a star shoot across the night sky. Glenn began calling and it didn't take long to spot a set of eyes, reflecting back at us. I had intentions of shooting the cat with my shotgun, loaded with dead coyote. The cat, hung up at about 80 yards. I traded the shotgun for one of Glenn's rifles. I put him in the scope, centered the cross-hairs, took the safety off and bang! My first bobcat. A 30 lb. tom cat. I was just freaking out, couldn't believe it. I had my cake, with icing and ate it too!!! Even have some left over to share, lol!!!  I wanted to let out a yell, but held off for we weren't done. Glenn called in a coyote, that spooked. After about a half hour another cat came in, but never offered a good shot to anybody. All in all, it was a fantastic hunting trip.
Glenn and Michelle, I don't know how I can ever repay you, for all the fun I had and everything I learned from the two of you, but I appreciate everything, you have done for me. My success, is owed to you! Thank you!!! Photo credit, is given to Glenn Guess. I got more comments on the great pictures he took and how hot Michelle is than anything else. loll!!! She is one heck of a hunting pal and Glenn is one lucky guy to have her.
I wish everyone the best of success through out the year in all hunting endeavors. Thanks, for looking.

My first gobbler:

My second gobbler:

My second gobbler and his 3 beards:

Michelle and I with my third gobbler:

My first hog:

Glenn and I with my second hog:

My coyote:

My pride and joy:

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
My Texas trip...pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:25:18 AM »
Sly-Vixen
Way to go, great story and some nice trophies.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
My Texas trip...pictures
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:03:21 AM »
Awesome job !!!  I'll say it again, you should write a book.  You have a way with words that interest me.  Congratulations.......Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline sly_vixen

• Junior Forum Member
My Texas trip...pictures
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 08:29:25 PM »
Thanks!   :D I appreciate the nice comments!  I just do what I love and love what I do!  I never wrote a story that long....but, I had a lot of things to cover!  lol....WOW! :shock:

It was one of the greatest trips of my life.  Glenn and Michelle are just supreme.

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
My Texas trip...pictures
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 08:04:56 PM »
:shock: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

terrific story, terrific trophies, terrific pictures.......thanks for sharing!

your hosts down in Texas are quite the people.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
My Texas trip...pictures
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Amazing hunt and pictures!

Congrats.   bootmud

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
My Texas trip...pictures
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 03:31:02 PM »
most excellent write up... sounds like you had an extremely good time... congrats on the cat... I'm hoping to do the same down here this winter...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...