Author Topic: Are You A Weaver???  (Read 1953 times)

uncle buck

Are You A Weaver???
« on: December 28, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »
Notice this and have read it in books recently..The more scope power you have the more the cross hairs move (WEAVE) arouond and around and around...Notice when I am using athe 9 power on my scope to shoot chucks the recticle a moving.

Sometimes maybe for shooting short distance at red fox... Maybe with a 22 WMR, 17 HMR, or 22 Hornet, it might be better to have a Muller 2 X 7 32X or limit you shot when using the 3 X 9 40 MM to the 6 power instead of the 9.  Fine if you can control that round robbin effect..However when using regular shooting styks....You will see that ever present weaving...Now don't get me wrong your weaving when you have it on the 3 power too but you don't know it as much.... Also um hand guns....Maybe it would be better to use a lower power scope then a higher power scope.
Maybe this is one of the PLUS's of using a Harrisbipod...Less known visual movement of the recticle...

Of course I know the proper thing to do is to do everything to control this....Maybe this is a post just to let you know that the more Power on your scope for your rifle and or pistol the more that you will notice the movement of your recticle....

What the answer?  a shooting system that anchors the gun well so recticle does not move as easy? Probably...More practice?  just goes to show you that shooting free hand with a higher power scope can be difficult..Best to use the best rest possible to stop the weave.....
I remember a red fox I missed one time with the 22 WMR set at 9 power...I was a Weaver that day...LOL LOL 

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Are You A Weaver???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »
as i was told when i was a young shooter by probably the best offhand shooter i have ever been around.  you will always have movement in the scope but most of the time it will be consistant, say moving in a figure 8 or up left and down to the right, anticipate the movement and pull the trigger.  he also told me, if the movement is not consistant to put the crosshairs above the animal then drop the crosshair slowly and pull the trigger where you want to hit.    i have had good luck by doing this over the years.   i once seen him shoot a chuck at over 100 yards off hand with a 222 and when he pulled the trigger he said right behind the ear, when i went over to pull him out of the hole it was right behind the ear.