Author Topic: Coyote Hunter Wannabe  (Read 4603 times)

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Hunter Wannabe
« on: January 29, 2006, 08:48:56 PM »
Hello guys! I'm new here and to coyote hunting. I saw this site mentioned on PA. Outdoor life and thought I'd stop by. I've never hunted predators before , but wanted to give it a go this coming year. Meanwhile I'll read up on it here and elsewhere and try to learn a bit more before giving it a go. Any advise for a coyote hunter newbie?
Thanks,
Don

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Hunter Wannabe
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:31:13 AM »
Advice? Learn all you can
Try to find someone who has hunted coyotes and go with them on the next hunt

Offline Nunk

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Hunter Wannabe
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 04:32:40 PM »
First off, welcome to the site, BigBlue!!

We have a great bunch of guys here who are experts in their own right.  Our website is growing fast, so hopefully you'll be getting some great responses.

Leglifter is correct.  LEARN, LEARN, LEARN, all you can about the coyote and coyote hunting.  Visit websites (we have a nice list of them on our Links page), read articles, and hook up with someone who is good at coyote hunting (we have some of those in this organization too).  

Scout, scout, and scout even more.  Can't shoot a coyote if they aren't in the area.

Practice and learn the art of calling, whether it be handheld or electronic, practice and learn the sounds that will attract coyotes.

Make sure you're using the right setup.  Gun, shells, caller(s), full camo, and other incidentals.  

Watch videos and DVDs of coyote hunting.  Attend calling seminars (we have one coming up soon with a nationally known caller) whenever you can.  

Join people and/or organizations who can help you do those things.

Best of luck.  A hunted eastern coyote kill is a trophy!!  Go get'em!!
VP - PPHA

Offline sharpshooter85

Coyote Hunter Wannabe
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 05:36:21 PM »
The coyotes will teach you alot. LOL. Its just like hunting deer or turkey or anything else, the more time you put in the more you will learn. I suggest any Randy Anderson coyote huntin video. As Leglifter said, hook up with an experienced coyote hunter any chance u get, learn from them. Good luck and keep us informed of how your hunts are going.
Hunt 'em up.

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Hunter Wannabe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 05:08:22 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and help guys! I plan to spend this year learning all I can before I head out to hunt. I've hunted small game and deer for more than thirty years, but this is a whole different thing.

Is there any information available on meeting places? I'm on the border of District 1 and District 2 and I'm not sure which to sign up with. I hunt in both areas, so I thought whichever had the most convenient meeting place is where I should sign with.  I also wanted to donate a bit of my time, if it's needed, to any association projects that come up. It can only aid in my coyote hunting education.

Thanks,
Don

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Hunter Wannabe
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 09:39:03 PM »
when you join, you'll fall into the district that you use as a residence...  as for wanting to donate time to projects, we can always use helping hands for a multitude of projects through out the year...   :mrgreen:
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Hunter Wannabe
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:00:20 PM »
Dale,
Thanks! I believe I would fall under district 2, so we may be meeting in the not so distant future. I'll send off my application tomorrow and look forward to meeting you. Perhaps I'll see you at the Farm Show Complex? I plan to attend the calling seminar, next week,  if at all possible.
Don

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Hunter Wannabe
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 10:56:05 PM »
don't forget about the crow hunt on saturday... you'd meet me for sure then... I'm hoping to make the seminar, but with moving this weekend, and getting the final ends tied up for the crow hunt, it all depends what I get done early in the week if I make it or not... hopefully I can make it...  8)
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Hunter Wannabe
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 05:54:18 PM »
Quote from: "Dale"
don't forget about the crow hunt on saturday...

Dale,

I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to attend the crow hunt. I have a seventieth birthday party to attend. Sounds like a real hoot huh?  :lol:  Oh well, sometimes you just have to do things. I'll be thinking about you guys the whole day, so if nothing else, I'll be there in spirit. Good luck with it!

Don