Author Topic: Locating Coyotes  (Read 9581 times)

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Locating Coyotes
« on: January 26, 2016, 03:25:37 PM »
So I'm taking the kids up to the mountains this Saturday to just get away and do some riding around and some picture taking.  While doing so I was going to take my Wildfire with me.

I have the siren sounds on the Wildfire.  I've heard that these sounds will make them howl and give away their positions.  This may sound silly, but how do you do it?  Do you actually set up to do it or do you just stop along side of the road and turn it on?

I would guess that you put it on 3/4 to full volume also.  How do you hear them if the siren is going?

Thanks in advance, I'd just like to have some fun when I'm out and get the kids excited also.

Chad

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Locating Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 04:40:09 PM »
run it for 10-15 second's and shut it off...  if they're in the area you'll hear them...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 04:56:16 PM »
Thanks Dale, appreciate it.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 05:46:09 PM »
I like to locate with someone with me.
One person is dropped off at good listening spot, the other drives 1/4-1/2 mile and runs the siren or vice versa.
Just a wider area to listen/hear and pinpoint.

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 06:00:17 PM »
I like that idea Hern, thanks.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:03:17 AM »
 :) I bought one of those bullhorn/siren combo's back in 2006, when I joined PPHA.  It's gathering dust along with a bunch of gadgets and widgets I thought were good ideas at the time. I have only once heard a coyote in my area howl to a siren. I was sitting in a location sandwiched between 2 country developments, when I heard an emergency vehicle going down a state road siren blaring. My ears went up, I heard several dogs in the area open up but no coyote. Then the fridge light in my head went on ( only took 9yrs) and I found a female coyote howl on my Wildfire and played it 1 time full volume, along with the dogs.  Whoa! I got an immediate coyote response right down the hollow I was in about a 1/4 mile and a few extra dogs...and no I didn't get that coyote  >:( >:(  ..but I made him,her,or it play the game so that counts in my book...I don't care what Hern's rules are....lol..if you want that bullhorn thing PM me your address and I will send it to you "Free"...if it doesn't work for you on coyotes,you can call the kids with it or the wife...a word of caution I tried the wife thing, that's why it's gathering dust.  8)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
Same here.  I have the ELK siren that looks like a bull horn I will sell you.  Maybe you could get a discount if you buy the JMan's and mine.  Lol
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 08:04:48 AM »
:) I bought one of those bullhorn/siren combo's back in 2006, when I joined PPHA.  It's gathering dust along with a bunch of gadgets and widgets I thought were good ideas at the time. I have only once heard a coyote in my area howl to a siren. I was sitting in a location sandwiched between 2 country developments, when I heard an emergency vehicle going down a state road siren blaring. My ears went up, I heard several dogs in the area open up but no coyote. Then the fridge light in my head went on ( only took 9yrs) and I found a female coyote howl on my Wildfire and played it 1 time full volume, along with the dogs.  Whoa! I got an immediate coyote response right down the hollow I was in about a 1/4 mile and a few extra dogs...and no I didn't get that coyote  >:( >:(  ..but I made him,her,or it play the game so that counts in my book...I don't care what Hern's rules are....lol..if you want that bullhorn thing PM me your address and I will send it to you "Free"...if it doesn't work for you on coyotes,you can call the kids with it or the wife...a word of caution I tried the wife thing, that's why it's gathering dust.  8)

LOL  Thanks Jaspr and Fur, I appreciate it.  Jaspr, I think that I'll take you up on your offer.  Can't have too many useless toys laying around.  :D

I'll still give it a try this weekend and let you know how my results are.  Jaspr, PM sent.

Chad

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 09:05:25 AM »
 ;D Chad  ;D As you can see "Lookn2Balwayshopeless" missed the "FREE" part.....I think L$F may need a direct fiber optic line through the ear canal into the cavity between his ears  ::) so he can get a little light to see where he's going  :o :o :o :o.............. 8)

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 09:08:02 AM »
LOL  Well I really don't know anyone as of yet to start busting balls but I can see your point.

Chad

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
Thanks Chad! ;) ;) ;)  You must be an old coot also? ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 10:45:39 AM »
No I am not, I'm only 39 so I would assume that to some of you gentlemen I'm just a kid.  :D

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
Just curious..... At what point does one "officially" become an old coot?  :o :o :o   I was wondering when I will reach old cootness!!!  ::) ::) ::)
District 5 coordinator

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
I started my curmudgeon training at the tender age of 50... by the time I hit 60 I was in the groove and ready for all the young whipper snappers... consult with anyone who knows me and they will confirm what I say...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 12:37:09 PM »
   Whats a " curmudgeon " ?????
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!