Author Topic: No cats  (Read 10971 times)

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
No cats
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »
No cats this morning. I did see a red on my last set came by before I started calling. I didn't shoot I'm regretting that. Also got to hear some pup distress from a house near by when I was loading back up into the truck after a set. Thought that was pretty classy. Hope to see some red eyes tonight.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: No cats
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »
Hunted hard all day.  No cats for me yet either.  Quick stop for dinner and will be back out tonight
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 06:22:31 PM »
Catless here too! First set of the day was fruitless. Called for about an hour and a half. Second set I cut a set of tracks (should've made that one the first set) Called about an hour, nothing showed. Followed the tracks a little to get an idea which way it was going. Got back in the truck and went about a mile up the road and dropped back into the ravine to try and get out ahead of it. Set up and called for another hour. Drew a blank..... From the looks of the tracks it travels that route regularly. There were old tracks and fresh ones. Guessing it's a big male. The paws were huge.... At least I learned something and I know where I'll be focusing on the rest of the season.
District 5 coordinator

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »
Sorry to hear that guys. That's pretty awesome Frank. Hope you run into him sometime soon.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 06:17:47 PM »
No cats part 2....  First set of the day was an epic fail!!! Went to my spot where I had fresh cat tracks on Saturday. Figured he has to come back through sometime. Sooner or later we'll cross paths.... That was my thinking anyway. What I hadn't planned for was that about 10 minutes into some snowshoe hp full blast (it was windy) I would have 2 hounds come running my way. Caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Saw them about 100 yards out. Hit the mute button and turned off the decoy and sat motionless. They kept their distance and went on their way. I could here them barking down through the valley. I was debating about whether or not to stay on stand. Then I swore I heard something off to my left (remember it was windy) I wasn't certain,  so I continued to sit motionless. I heard it again.... This time I turned slowly for a look. All of a sudden 3 guys appear and walk to within 20 yards of me. They stand there looking around and talking. I politely cleared my throat to alert them I was there. Nothing.... So I did it a little louder. They turned and said "oh $h!t" sorry sir we didn't see you there!!! Apparently natural gear snow camo is very good... ;D ;D  ;D At that point it was time to pack it in and move to another location down the road.... I'm guessing they know about the cat and were hunting with hounds. All 3 had rifles, no fluorescent orange, no camo of any kind. Just dressed in regular street clothes. The rest of the day was cold and catless....
District 5 coordinator

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 06:30:21 PM »
You should've unmuted you call since it was full blast. Lol

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out for yet a different reason.

Chad

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »
 :o :o :o..... Dang!!!! You're right....  That would've been priceless!!!! I like the way your mind works! I'll file that one away in the memory banks and use it if there's a next time... ;D ;D  ;D
District 5 coordinator

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:26:39 PM »
:o :o :o..... Dang!!!! You're right....  That would've been priceless!!!! I like the way your mind works! I'll file that one away in the memory banks and use it if there's a next time... ;D ;D  ;D

Brother, you have no clue what this sick mind can come up with.  Lol

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »
Had a similar thing happen also.  Was calling near a gas line when a truck drove in and blew the set .
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:50:43 AM »
No cats here either,  last week I found where a cat either killed a deer or found a dead one, it had it all covered up with leaves and grass.   I checked it on Thursday and Friday in the snow and the cat hadn't come back.   Started there on Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m., when we got there two coyotes had found the deer and pulled it out of the brush, called the spot for an hour and nothing.   Made a bunch of stands on Saturday in good cat country and nothing.   Went for an hour last night before dark and nothing, cold and windy..    I have some time off at the end of the week so we will be back at it.. 

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:09:34 AM »
I'm going to get back after them tomorrow. I found fresh tracks Saturday so that's where I'm heading.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:36 AM »
No cats for me either.  Had a vehicle malfunction to the tune of $383.00.  Had to turn around and get my sons truck.  Got rained out Friday night after one set.  Hunted hard the next day on several sets of older tracks thinking the cat would return to the area eventually.  Snow and slush froze Saturday night, that was the end of hoping to see any fresh tracks.  Saw a cat crossing the road like it was being chased around 1 am.  Set up on it where I thought it was heading and drew a blank.  Oh well.  Called a Grey and a big mountain coon in (did not shoot) and saw some elk.  The only bright spot to the weekend.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:18 AM »
I cannot stress how important it is to scout.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 01:13:14 PM »
Lookn4fur
You picked a hard weekend to call. Scouting or knowing some one that knows were cats are is inportant. When you do not live close to Bobcat hunting area finding them is harder then calling them. Then you have to find a cat that is not in his hole or log and can not hear you. For the long distance cat Hunter in pa it is hard. But when it happens it seams easy.Lol
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 01:23:29 PM »
Agreed 100%.  I am up there a lot and do know where some cats are.  The weather seems to be getting the best of me lately though, plus the cats just were not there when I was.  In one months time I have seen three different cats.  One of them happens to be the biggest cat I have ever laid eyes on and I have been a party of a couple 35 and 40 pounders.  Hoping to go back up next weekend.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!