Author Topic: Mosquito Creek Coyote Hunt  (Read 26079 times)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Mosquito Creek Coyote Hunt
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 01:58:15 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D jaspr1...iffin you hadn't been howlin at the moon so much last week,  ??? ??? ??? being dominate and all, it would be alot easier for you to find one... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ya done scared most of them north and west  ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 06:09:33 AM »
 ;D Thanks for the INFO  ;D but as usual your intructions are a little confusing  ::) Should I go North 1st and then West?  ??? Or should I go North only, and if this fails  :( backtrack  ;) and go West  ??? Or maybe You want me to go  :P in what people refer to as Northwest  ::) I am running out of time here to get a PLAN in place  :( Your not up to your usual BS and trying to get me off track  >:(  >:( when said coyotes are really Southeast... :o No matter  ::) if I don't get a coyote.... :-[  I'm going to blame you and your faulty intructions  >:( >:( :P :P :P :P :P.............. 8)

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
I retired from this event lol.... too dangerous around here that weekend plus I have had a few bad experiences over there

uncle buck

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 07:56:46 PM »
That women biologist that did the YOUTUBE talk about how coyotes act, think, and what they do would be a good thing for you all to watch...I think she was from RI..She put tracking devices on coyotes and tracked them by satellite.  She knew everything about coyotes how they act how they think etc..   I once read thanks to a member on here. A person that wrote his thesis on how coyotes act.. Some of the stuff made sense. Did that person crawl down a hole and interview a coyote?

Somethings that I remember from the Thesis was that coyotes howl more during a full moon... They also respond to calls better during a full moon since they can see better then on dark nights... 

I remember when Coyote John told me once... When in doubt and don't know what to use use the coyote pup distress!!  I have tried that and he is right... If you hear them howling up on a hill and they won't come in... Hit them with 1 good minute of the coyote pup distress.. Be on a machine or using a good quality predator call... After that minute be quiet for about a good  8 minutes.. However make sure the wind is not blowing up to where the coyotes are howling and be ready! All of a sudden they just show up out of no where... Just like the Gray Fox Pup is really a sucker call for the gray fox.. So is the coyote pup distress one that thanks to CJ I use 365 days a year.. None of the when they are born only sheeeeeeeet! by the way it's a known fact to the The Gray Fox Pup sound is good for coyotes too.. However if you post by the speaker like when your hunting gray fox you get busted... you got to be set up with a shooter somewhere down the road in an area that has the least resistance to the speaker... I'm sure we will be talking all about this kind of stuff at the breakfast... that's if  some of you don't whip out your pictures of your kids and the fish you caught and wreck everyone frame of mind... So I can  give you that little bit of info for the Mosquito Creek... If they howl and you and they don't come in.. .Hit them with coyote pup distress and then remain silent...You best be ready for a shot too.. You take someone that day dreams your going to have that person miss the shot...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:59:38 PM by uncle buck »

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »
Anyone have any updates on dog count or weights from the creek hunt?

uncle buck

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 02:39:58 PM »
go here this is the latest of what is happening at Mosquito Creek right now:  2:00 PM.  http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman/2015/02/coyote_hunt_chairperson_weathe.html

uncle buck

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 09:42:06 PM »
For this year's coyote hunt, hunters weighed in 162 coyotes, 139 of them on Sunday. That is impressive! But also interesting? One good day of weather made that much difference?
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »
I don't know how I feel about these guys running dogs for coyotes in these contests. The dogs do all the hunting and hard work while the hunter fallows his GPS to the dogs and shoots a half dead coyote already and gets the prize. Plus for the guys that hunt with call and lights at night ever person who is hunting with you needs to be signed up even if they are just going to shine the light or run the calls ever participant must be signed up but a guy can run 5 dogs and they don't need to be signed up. Just my point of view don't know how everyone else feels about it.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 10:26:27 PM »
When it started it was to get rid of coyotes and use the money for good things for game. I think it has done a good job. With out this hunt hunters and dog men might never have gotten as good as they are. Money drives everthing.  PPHA has coyote hunts for just calling and hardly anybody gets in the hunt. I think there are a lot of coyotes shot out windows at people homes over bait. But it is all leagle so no one should complain.
I just like to get in sometimes just for the excitement. Just like buying a lotto ticket, ya never know.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 10:33:05 PM »
Buckwheat I agree with you...Friday the temps were down like 1 18 degrees below zero.. Friday into Saturday was ok but Saturday into Sunday morning was bad... I just hope that the corruption of this contest is not as prevalent as it seems.. I don't care what anyones says there will be some corruption.. I don't worry about all those corrupt people.  I figure if God wants me to place he will allow me to take one of the top  4 (includes the heaviest female). right now he sure is making me a humble predator caller that's for sure... That's good too..

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 11:58:01 PM »
I don't know how I feel about these guys running dogs for coyotes in these contests. The dogs do all the hunting and hard work while the hunter fallows his GPS to the dogs and shoots a half dead coyote already and gets the prize. Plus for the guys that hunt with call and lights at night ever person who is hunting with you needs to be signed up even if they are just going to shine the light or run the calls ever participant must be signed up but a guy can run 5 dogs and they don't need to be signed up. Just my point of view don't know how everyone else feels about it.
I would think it is much harder then driving around in a truck and jumping out and shooting. I would think those dogs don't bring the yotes back to the road every time and with all the snow they probably had to work pretty hard this weekend.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »
Maybe I just don't understand how hunting with dogs for coyotes all works. If anyone can give me an explanation on it maybe I would understand it better I don't know.

Offline nortpete

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
    • French Creek Calls and Taxidermy
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 11:51:41 AM »
One guy running 5 dogs isn't going to kill a coyote. It is very hard work hunting coyotes with hounds. I used to have hounds and run them. First you buy the dogs $100.00-$1000.00 for each dog. Then you buy the GPS $600.00. next you have to buy the collars $300.00 per dog. Radios $300.00 each. now you have to feed your dogs all year $15.00 per week $780.00 per year. Now for one guy running 5 dogs we have an investment of almost $4,000.00 and that is if your dogs are only $100.00 each which they never are. Now that you have all of your equipment it is time to hunt. You will easily go through 30 gallons of gas on a weekend so you can add that to the bill. one you find a coyote it is a constant challenge keeping the dogs on the track because a coyote is so smart. A coyote will run in open water, on logs, on top of deer tracks, and go so far and then turn around and back track on there tracks and then cut off. The dog owners are walking in the woods with their dogs, and it is nothing to walk 10 miles in a day in deep snow, all to have the coyote get away. The guys who run dogs do not kill a coyote every time they go out. We went weeks last year without killing one. It is not easy just because there are dogs.
Nick
Crawford County
French Creek Calls & Taxidermy
www.frenchcreekcalls.com

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 12:39:57 PM »
!st place went to a former member of the PPHA, his membership was up last september. Just a little fyi
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff