Author Topic: Mosquito Creek Hunt  (Read 13103 times)

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
Re: Mosquito Creek Hunt
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
I was there yesterday to from 3:PM-4:15PM 104 weighed in 44+lb was heaviest some saying weight was 5-8lbs less then other years, pretty cool all they do, check for this & that samples for biology studies. Sorry to here you had no luck there's always next year.     

Offline coon hunter

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »
150 coyotes out of 4k hunters goes to show PA. is not over run with them. All the contests in my area the last 3 years has only had half or less total coyotes turned in from 8 to 10 years ago.

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »
Are the yotes getting wise to the action?
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline coon hunter

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »
Less deer = less coyotes. Since the deer herd numbers are being reduced, hunters are getting far less pictures on trail cams. Some would get 5 to 10 pictures before bow season are getting 1 to 3. We have a ton of callers out their at nights and very few connect. If hunting them made coyote rates grow the past 10 years Pa. should have as many as most western states, yet we do not, we have probably less then 6 years ago.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 07:35:39 AM »
c h says-
150 coyotes out of 4k hunters goes to show PA. is not over run with them.
Weather has a lot to do with kills during any contest. This year, Lower kills in the MC contest showed that.
Coyote numbers and density vary in different parts of Pa.
Seems like ncPa. and wPa. Have a lot of hound hunters, trappers (and out of town folks visiting cabins) that take a lot of Coyote. From what I heard, some groups of hound hunters take 100+ Coyote a season.
When thesehere contest roll around, Coyote population is at the lowest of year and a Coyote still on it's feet has his PHD and Doctorate in survival.
By that, the local Coyotes know what a dirthole is, heard all the sounds for e-callers, know your hounds first name and pedigree and even can distinguish the sound of your pickup truck from your partners pickup truck.
Predator and Prey density do have cycles. If you live long enough and stay with it, one will see highs and lows in Coyote/Fox/Coon populations.
c h,
In my area, Coyote population has been stable. I see that with my traps and calling and ADC work, plus scouting 12 months a year.
You may live in mountain area where Deer is main food, but here in the central Susquehanna Valley, we have mountains, farm land, CRP land, Game Lands, private land...a wide variety of food source.
Am in contact with many Canine men throughout the state.
Seems right now, From Shippensburg (up Rt. 81) to near Mahanoy City (along Rt. 81), that Rt. 81 corridor on both sides,  then east to Lehighton/Allentown area, that whole South East Corner on Pa...has a growth spurt of Coyotes. Even west of Mahanoy City, in the Mahantango Valley they are experiencing high Coyote population.

What I am trying to point out, Pa. has a healthy population of Coyote. Maybe not in your area.
There are so many things to factor when talking about animal density in a given county or township.
Pa. in not over run by Coyotes, just some areas of the state have a higher density.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
I think the first place Coyote came from Montour County. Very near me.
Very stable area with a few pockets of high density Coyote.
These guys are consistence place winners in Coyote contests over the years.

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »
I live and hunt the Kutztown area. My hunting buddy and I entered the port Clinton coyote, fox hunt because we have a healthy population of reds around us and its a 15 minute drive from my house. Also entered the mosquito creek hunt just because of the pay out and we know there are yotes around us just know where. The port Clinton hunt went all last week and the creek just the weekend. We hunted every night 7pm-2 or 3 in the morning and I get up for work at 5 yeah I was beat come Sunday. But Monday night we shot a 40 pound male yote took 1st at port Clinton then shot a couple fox biggest being 10.1 good enough for 4th at port Clinton. Then went out for yotes Friday night heard about 15-20 in all diffenent areas of this one farm we hunt called in a 35 pound male around midnight wanted to wait for the rest of the pack to come over the hill to us but this one got to 50 yards and couldn't wait any longer and that was our week of hunting made $430 in prize money not bad for a week of hunting.

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
We have a good many coyotes around here,I think it's do to a lot of posted property,an a lot of people that educate them very quickly.
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll fetch ya another!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 06:13:02 AM »
Monday night we shot a 40 pound male yote took 1st at port Clinton then
Congratulations wfo204

Offline coon hunter

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 07:37:48 AM »
We got a 37lb female at 9am  I called it in with coaxer, didn't get top female though. Would have been nice.

Offline Cskypup

• Junior Forum Member
  • Self-professed predator junkie full time Sheepdog!
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Great job weighing one in! Still have a boatload to learn with coyote hunting but its comin along!
Savage 340 in .222 Rem
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x
XLR 250 kill light
Chinese  knockoff lights that are the best ever
Mrod in .25cal my secret weapon out in other states anywat

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 08:09:58 PM »
Thank you this was my first full predator season and I would stop hunting all other game just to hunt predators at night.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »
'204 says-
I would stop hunting all other game just to hunt predators at night.
am with you on that, I guess I pretty much did that over the years. I do hunt Spring Gobbler.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »
wfo204... I didn't think were were yotes around Kutztown.  Are you hunting close to the town or above 222 ?

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »
There are more and more coming around both the yotes we got were just on the north side of 78. We know of a pack of 5 that are right outside of town along 222 but we didn't get shooting at them. Another guy I talked to found a den in the Kutztown game lands with 13 fawn carcasses in it so they are here.