Author Topic: WOW...What a rush!  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
WOW...What a rush!
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
     I was up at my little piece of paradise this weekend in Clinton County.  I have heard, and seen a few Coyotes over the years.  Last year I hunted with my cousin, and he successfully called in two sets of coyotes in one weekend......I was hooked.

This year I purchased my first mouth call from none other than Bee's O'Brein.  It was an open reed call and I was clueless as how to properly use it.  I experimented with it a few times but would hardly say I was good it.

This weekend, My Girlfriend and I were up at camp.  Behind my cabin is a field about 12 acres.  We usually sit out in a corner of the field in the evenings to watch for the deer and bear to come out and feed.  Well, this weekend, I deceided to take the open reed call with me.....not really expecting much to happen.

At about 6:20, I let out a few "sequences" with the call, no more than 30 seconds total.  I waited for about another 10 minutes, then blew the call again for about another 30 seconds and waited.  This time the wait was short.  Long behold, to much of my surprise, didn't a coyote pop out from the edge of the field about 100 yards away!!  Total time from when I started, to when I saw him, was 20 minutes tops!  My girlfriend looked at me and said, "Wow....that was just like they do it on TV".  I tried to play it off like I was an expert, but the reality of it was pure beginners luck..... and a good call from Bee's!!

Now to answer everyones question....NO, I missed!  I was in shock and couldn't understand How I missed a chip shot on a coyote in the wide open.  The next day I shot my gun, and found out I wasn't even on paper!  I was shooting about a foot to the left.  The opportunity of a lifetime for me, and I blew it.

Even after the miss, I still felt pretty darn good that I at least called one in ...and with an open reed mouth call to boot!!   It can only get better now!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:33:37 PM by Misterjake23 »
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
Re: WOW...What a rush!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:47:32 AM »
Congratulations on calling one in. Now that the guns shooting right, look out Coyotes....ED

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:49:59 AM »
Great job on the call in!!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:19 AM »
Congrats.  That never gets dull for me.  The misses happen, don't get hung up on that.  At least you know your gun was way off and that's why you missed.  I miss some times and have no clue why, other than I suck!   ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:57 AM »
misterjake glad you had success with the open reed.... and you will see and hear more than you will get hunting here in PA that's for sure.....especially where you were hunting remember one thing.... those calls were made in Clinton county.....and you were no doubt calling where I do some calling so they were field tested HERE lol awesome story but now I know I have some more competition here in this neck of the woods

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »
Way to go Jake keep it up
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »
Congratulations! This won't be the last miss or call in. I look forward to hearing the follow u to this, soon.  ;)
FayetteNam

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 06:53:17 PM »
I know you have me pumped for next month to try to put the smack down on one!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 12:35:27 AM »
I've Had The Same Thing Happen To M. No Worries You'll GetThem Nexy time