Author Topic: Scairce coyote tracks & scat...  (Read 14255 times)

uncle buck

Re: Scairce coyote tracks & scat...
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 07:04:55 PM »
Renny...Nope did not bother me since you came back and gave  some good info to help new hunters out.

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 10:28:28 PM »
Sometimes I wonder why folks hunt coyotes in Pa. because I see them get frustrated with close encounters or they have no luck at all and they get even more frustrated.  I don't put to much thought into it.  I try to follow the basics, hunt a good wind, be quiet, don't move, make the right calls, not to loud, not to often.

If a coyote or coyotes show up I know I did something right and I try to figure out what I did different this set up as opposed to the last 30 dry stands.  What I won't do is act like a bad golfer and get all pizzed off and from a bad swing or a bad round of golf.  I hunt coyotes because I love calling for them (mouth calls or e calls) and the challange they offer. 

At night I usually hit the areas with the most coyote sign in areas that allow the best visibility such as fields, powerlines, old roads, train tracks, etc....  During daylight I hunt near thick cover, steep terrain, or difficult to get to (remote) areas.  My strategies are not magical and very rarely successful and after a day, week, or an entire season of coyote hunting without any fur in the back of my truck all I can think about is hunting coyotes the next season.

If you are absolutely compelled to kill any coyote, go to Texas.  If you want a eastern trophy keep doing what you enjoy to do, put your woodsmanship skill to work and keep your fingers crossed. :)

bootmud

Offline yote204

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »
me and yotestalker hunt in elk county we have called in 5 or 6 this year, yotestalker got one this year, we are just having bad luck, it really is about luck

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »
Sometimes I wonder why folks hunt coyotes in Pa. because I see them get frustrated with close encounters or they have no luck at all and they get even more frustrated. 

I think too many see it on tv and think that it is easy.  they never show the hard work that goes into hunting coyotes.  normally when I hear someone at a local clubhouse say they are only hunting coyotes I tell em good luck because they are facing a lot of stands and hours in the woods.  I think if guys that are new to the game would just call fox and coon for the first few years they would enjoy predator calling more.  someone can get discouraged quick by only hunting coyotes. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
Sometimes I wonder why folks hunt coyotes in Pa. because I see them get frustrated with close encounters or they have no luck at all and they get even more frustrated. 

I think too many see it on tv and think that it is easy.  they never show the hard work that goes into hunting coyotes.  normally when I hear someone at a local clubhouse say they are only hunting coyotes I tell em good luck because they are facing a lot of stands and hours in the woods.  I think if guys that are new to the game would just call fox and coon for the first few years they would enjoy predator calling more.  someone can get discouraged quick by only hunting coyotes. 

I am new to hunting and I could definitely see folks getting frustrated and giving up.  I have been a racer for the past ten years and have spent tons and tons of $$ traveling and racing.  I gave it up this year, but needed something to fullfill my rush and adventurous soul. I planned to hunt fox originally and than learned about coyote hunting and can hunt year round.  Also like the challenge of it.  Not interested in sitting in a deer stand for hours waiting for a deer to travel into my line of sight.  Seems boring to me. I also can live without venison, so hunting deer to me seems futile. I would rather HUNT something that takes more skill, than luck.

You are right about watching videos and falling under the illusion that it s easy.  The videos don't show the hours of preparation and waiting.  I know I will get one with persistence and taking advice from some of you folks here.
Chris Deckard  District 2