Author Topic: Scairce coyote tracks & scat...  (Read 14254 times)

uncle buck

Re: Scairce coyote tracks & scat...
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
Our coyotes have wolf in them...They are a bit smarter and the greater human population back East makes them weary of man...

What is nice is when your hunting and you hear a emergency siren in the distance and the entire mountain opens up with howls.. I have had that happen to me twice now...Instead of using  coyote vocalization for locating here in the East...A siren is better... I have called in coyotes with just using a Coyote Interrogation Howl. So if your trying to locate with howls they could be busting you and you don't even know it...

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 09:10:34 PM »
Scott
I also believe an electronic call in the woods helps a lot in the day time. I am also going to mess with that new decoy FoxPro is coming out with in the day time some.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 09:11:39 AM »
Our coyotes have wolf in them...They are a bit smarter and the greater human population back East makes them weary of man...

What is nice is when your hunting and you hear a emergency siren in the distance and the entire mountain opens up with howls.. I have had that happen to me twice now...Instead of using coyote vocalization for locating here in the East...A siren is better... I have called in coyotes with just using a Coyote Interrogation Howl. So if your trying to locate with howls they could be busting you and you don't even know it...

I don't understand your post.  On one hand you say not to use coyote vocalization, than in the next sentence you say you have called them in with interrogation howl (coyote vocalization).

In my post above when I said go out before light or just before dark to locate, I am mean listen!!!  No calls at all.  Just drive around the areas you think they are and Listen!!  Than go set up where you hear them!!  That's all.  Just taking the advice of some, including Phil Simonski.
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »
Go at 2am, and listen. Coyotes right now are making short, mellow, easy howls talking back and forth. You will figure it out.

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »
Anyone on here hunt in Carbon, Monroe, Luzerne, Lackawanna or Schukyll counties.  I am in Northern Montgomery, but I always have to travel to hunt coyote.  None around here unfortunatly.  I am use to traveling.  I would love to go out with a experienced coyote hunter.  Would be willing to just hold light (if at night) for you to shoot, just for the experience and education.
Chris Deckard  District 2

uncle buck

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »

I don't understand your post.  On one hand you say not to use coyote vocalization, than in the next sentence you say you have called them in with interrogation howl (coyote vocalization).

[/quote]

What I was saying is: When I hunt coyotes they come in when you do an Interrogation Howl..As you know that is just a plain howl..So if your trying to locate coyotes never use an Interrogation Howl or any kind of coyote vocalization.. When locating coyotes use the siren only...   

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
a lot of guys will get to a spot and use a howl to see if they are in the area, they hear them then try and set up on them, often the coyote is already moving to you and you to it so success rate would be low.   if you are hunting coyotes in the day, if you could ride around the night before with the siren and listen you would have a better chance of getting one the next day because you have narrowed down the area.

Buckwheat - i fooled around a lot with the decoy last year and had zero success with it, it really doesn't fit into my style of coyote hunting.  now fox that is a different story and the hawks and owls love the decoy. 

Whitefeather - i hunt in Luzerne, Wyoming, Columbia, and Bradford Co's.   I wont target just coyotes until after the new year, you could wait until then or you can come up before then, but most coyotes at that time are not targeted but we do call them in on fox sets. 

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 07:32:09 PM »
Scott
Why do you think you had such bad luck with a decoy? I have tried decoys a little but think I was using them haphazardly. I never had a electronic call that I could set out there far enough to have the sound and decoy at the same location. The decoy was always so close I never really needed to use one.
So let me hear your reasoning, I might not bother either if it to much a pain in the butt.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 08:10:01 PM »
I feel like if i have to walk out and place the decoy where a coyote is going to see it I will be busted before i start.   last year i knew where some coyotes were hanging around.  found a place in the woods that went from a thick area to a thin area back to a thick area where the coyotes were hanging around.  i figured i could wait until the wind was in my face sneak in and place the decoy and the caller 20 yards into the thin area and back out to the brush.  about the 40 minute mark of calling i had a male challenge me exactly where i thought they would be, but instead of coming to the edge of the thick stuff and seeing the decoy he circled me and ended up about 75 yards below me before he caught my wind.  I did catch a glimpse of him and if i was hunting my normal way I would have killed him. 

my records show that about 90 percent of the coyotes i call in will come in on the downwind side of the electronic caller, depending on the wind it can be anywhere from 80 yards to 200 or more.  So for me the smart money is to get at least 100 yards downwind of the e caller.

I am going to try the decoy again this year, i have some new thoughts that i am going to put to use.  not sure what decoy you are going to try but I have the Mojo critter and it is durable and lasted all season with one set of batteries, think i got it for 35 bucks. 

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 08:13:40 PM »
I don't know one hunter in PA. who has killed a coyote over a jack-in-the box. I'm certain a few may have. What new hunters have to remember is there are less coyotes. When the deer herd is reduced way down the coyotes seem to be fewer. Face it killing a coyote in PA. is luck, but no reason to go out there without knowing the basics. As far as electronics, i feel the less is better for coyotes. As Scott said the right time of year if that howl back, sounds like he's coming in. Wait it out. If you get a hung up yote, game over. Your either busted or it has heard your type call before. A educated coyote. We also got to remember there was one bunch who killed over 140, 2 years ago, and a handfull who killed 50 or more over hounds. Even guys i know who killed 4 or 5 a year, a few years back have been lucky to kill 1 or 2.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 08:27:11 PM »
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. 

Scott

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. 

Scott

I agree, but i have never seen 1 sport where one could be so prepared and 99.9% of the time something goes wrong at the last second. I think it is what keeps us hunting them. What did i do wrong? What can i change?
It can drive a guy crazy. lol

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 09:11:17 PM »
they are the ultimate PA hunters challenge that is not doubt, anybody that says different hasn't hunted them long enough. 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
If coyotes were so smart they would have bank accounts, a house and a car. The reason you don't see them is there are very few of them in Pa. I have hunted all my life and have only seen two in pa. Hunting them in pa is a matter of luck unless you know an area were they are. I concentrate on fox in Pa.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:21:57 PM by foxpro51 »

uncle buck

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 09:27:40 PM »
Every now and then you will be lucky and call one in when your fox hunting... However IMO....They are not like all the other predators in Pa...If you hunt them like you do bobcat, coon, gray fox, and red fox your going to fail..However see that how you get to notice how coyotes are by failing....
I hunt them and think of them as mammals like all of us....What impact human mammals impacts the Eastern coyotes too..Just like someone in your work area or even on here at times will try to yank your chain...That's how you hunt the Eastern Coyotes..Yank his or her chain...
They can reason too....if something is out of place or something just ain't right your not going to get them to commit to your calling.
If they are there and you know they are in the area.. You have to go one and one on them. They will come to your calling if they think another coyote is in their area. That's what you have to make them think in Jan and February.
Scott is correct too...If there are coyotes in the area and you walk out into a field to place the decoy...It's over...Funny..Scott and I got to hunt together last year..We were calling fox and we did not know that not more then 250 yards from our spot a coyote was feeding on a dead deer..Of course we got busted...we got busted real fast too.. We turned the caller on it played for 30 seconds if I remember the coyote came running toward us scented us and it was all over. Had we place a decoy out in the field we would not have known that coyote was there.. It would have spooked..   As the predator season progressed I went one on with these coyotes for the entire season. Learned so much from them how they were coming to the calls. Sometimes I used the Foxpro FX5, another time I would use the Primos Powerdogg, and then mouth calling too.
For you guys that go out of state and get all kinds of coyotes.. Don't let those positive experiences in other states hurt you when you hunt in Pa.
They are there and just remember Pa  coyotes are mammals just like you and I... Aggravate them like people human mammals aggravate other humans and you will start getting shots and seeing them too..

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:00:13 PM by uncle buck »