Author Topic: Calling Tips  (Read 4995 times)

Offline greenspace

Calling Tips
« on: December 21, 2005, 12:39:30 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm a long-time hunter, but I've only been at predator (red fox) hunting for a couple of years.  After reading a lot about it on the web, I'm esssentially self taught, usually using rabbit distress and/or a whining reed call held between teeth that my wife bought somewhere.   I've had some success, but know I can do better.  So far this year, I've only called in one, and I missed a quick shot at him!

I'd like to improve my calling technique and variety.  Looking for really good instructions, geared primarily towards fox.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

PS:  Anyone aware of any coyotes in SE Chester County?  I haven't come across any in my home area yet.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Calling Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 03:33:26 PM »
get yourself a bulb squeker and try that out at all your stands before anything else.  this is so you will get that close one.  make sure you are not too loud.  also do you hunt at night or during the day
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Tracker

• Senior Forum Member
    • http://www.huntnpa.com
Calling Tips
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 10:09:38 PM »
Keep it simple.
How are you going about it now?
Try to ask more specific questions.
hyp⋅o⋅crite: a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Synonyms: deceiver, dissembler, pretender, pharisee, phony.

Offline greenspace

Thanks for replys
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 08:07:04 AM »
I generally hunt early morning, or evening until dark, but not in the dark.  I'm afraid of upsetting nearby neighbors by shooting at night.  Most would probably suspect I was poaching deer.

After quietly getting to my spots, and waiting a couple of minutes, I'll usually start off with 30-60 seconds of rabbit distress, in short screams, moderate to loud volume.  Then wait a minute or two.  Then repeat.  Three or four times total.  Then I'll usually switch to the lower volume whining call, similar sequence.  I've had foxes come in at every stage of this process.

I bought a squeaker bulb this year, but haven't used it much yet.  What kind of sequence would you recommend?  Also, I read somewhere that a real rabbit distress will be the same volume, whether the fox is close or not, and it won't scare them off.  I have to believe there's some truth to that.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Calling Tips
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 08:44:06 AM »
I start most of my stands off with a squeaker bulb.  new louden isn't that far away from me If you want to go out some time I will be happy to take you.  also a real rabbit might be that loud but sometimes reds get timid when something happens suddenly.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline greenspace

Squeaker
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 07:47:54 AM »
What kind of cadence do you use with squeaker bulb?  Instructions I got with my Quaker Boy bulb said to use short, sharp squeaks, but didn't say how many together, how fast, etc.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Calling Tips
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 01:41:12 AM »
that's pretty much up to you... I use a fairly fast cadence but have seen others use a lot slower sequence too...

you're down in the rimfire/shotgun area aren't you?...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline greenspace

Shotgun or rimfire
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 07:41:11 AM »
Yes, shotgun or rimfire.  I usually use a .22 mag., which is plenty.  But of course, when I bring the rifle, they come running, and when I bring the shotgun, they hang up at 60 yards!.  One of those combo rifle/shotguns would be ideal for this game.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Calling Tips
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 08:24:59 PM »
Ben has one of them rifle shotgun combo's sorta new to it but we'll let him give his input on it...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Calling Tips
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 05:50:27 AM »
here is a review I wrote up for it on another site.

The Gun: The gun is a shotgun over a .223. the 12ga can handle 2 3/4" and 3" shells. The 12ga barrel has interchangable chokes, chokes are as follows IC, MOD, FULL. The barrels are 24" long and the gun comes equipped with iron sights and a scope rail which is a 3/8 dovetail. The scope is a simmons prodiamond shotgun scope with a ill reticule. This is nice for range estimation and being able to hunt at night. It just so happen the diamond from corner to corner is about 8" on the lowest magnification at normal shotgun range which I have determined to be about 35yds.(will get back to that later)
At the range: The .223 load I used through the gun was a black hills 50gr v-max. I have also used both the 55gr soft points, and the 52 gr match hp. But the 50gr v-maxs is what I have been using so this is what I shot out of it the most. The gun is capable of better groups but at 75yds it will put 5 shots into a quarter. The trigger on my gun was not as bad as some I have heard. I would estimate it to be around 6-7 pounds. But it has no creep at all but some slop side to side. The two shotgun loads I used were a 3" federal with 2oz of copperplated bb and a 2 3/4" whinchester #4 buck. Both loads preformed well. the BB load I would not venture any farther the 40yds with a fox sized critter. Just not enough pellets in the kill zone. with the #4 buck there is 27 pellets and in a 8" round circle the pattern was in the bottom half with appx 14 pellets in the circle at 35 yds. 45 yds would be max I would take this load For a fox sized animal. coytoes a little farther but not much maybe 5-10 yds more. Both loads preformed the best through a full choke.
The good the bad and the ugly.
the good about this gun was it offers two guns for one shooter that hunts by themselfs. The bad is you only have two shots if the chance multipule comes in. Another good is the price. I paid 430 dollars which is about 150 dollars cheaper then the savage. The finish does not look that bad but the checkering is deep and not as good looking as a remington or other rifle. Another good is the two triggers. I cannot feel my thumb and I cannot find the selector switch for the barrels on the savage. but the bakial I have no problem. The only grief I would have for the gun is not a good variety of chokes compared to other guns. Also the sling is not removable unless you unthread it from the loops.

Whole cost for the schbang: gun $430. $25. registration fee. $30.00 rings(steel), $15.00 sling and $109.00 for the scope. all in all I am very happy with the gun and feel it will serve me well. I will include pictures then after I can download them I am having technical difficultys.