Author Topic: What scope to buy  (Read 2288 times)

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
What scope to buy
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:43:09 AM »
I have a winchester featherweight 223 wssm that I plan to set up for coyote hunting. My question is which scope to top it off with. I don't want to go over $800.00. I have heard that us optics make good quality scopes and nighthawk. Any of you guys have any of these? I want a long range compensating reticle, mil dots, etc. and a 30 mil tube. My money issue might confine me to Nikon or Burris. I would rather not go with a new Leupold. If any one has any suggestions or has a scope similar to what I am looking for your input would be great. thanks

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Re: What scope to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
I decided to go with a Burris Black Diamond scope. Mil dot reticle and 30mm tube. Found one on ebay for just under 600.00. I hope to get my gun set up soon and then I will have to look for another caliber. lol Maybe a 25 wssm.

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
I have heard from many how great the 30 MM tube is compared to the U. S. one inch tube... I'd like to try one out someday.  I know you said Leupold was not of interest but notice the new Leupold R is a  30 MM tube and the recticle is illuminated...I did hold one up to my eye at Gander MT but...The battery was old in it so I didn't get see how the illumination worked.  Kind of hard to be scoping around a store to see just how good a scope is?????In Harrisburg they do have them affixed to gun stocks but their sales people need to put new batteries in the burned out display models..

http://alexpowers.hubpages.com/hub/Leupold-VX-R
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:28:42 PM by uncle buck »

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:13:56 AM »
I just made my mind up on a bushnell elite,  4-16. Don't know if it helps but its around $450.  With the bdc reticle. Heard good things for the price of it, its just what I can afford you know.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
just made my mind up on a bushnell elite,  4-16.

Thats a good scope 7pt. I almost bought one of them but I guess not yet.

Offline dibo (Bob)

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »
Love my new Leupold VXR 3-9X40 Fire Dot Duplex with 30mm main tube. the only thing I noticed when using the fire dot with the Kill Light at night you have three red dots looking back at you can get confusing at times. Leupold did put a one turn extended focus range eyepiece on it which makes it nice to use. Just buy the best glass you can...
Live everyday as its your last...

Bob Huston
District 3 Co-Coordinator