Author Topic: Need HELP! (Outer Banks - Duck, NC)  (Read 5160 times)

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
Need HELP! (Outer Banks - Duck, NC)
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:22:37 AM »
Duck NC

Hey guys,

I need some help.  I will be going to Duck NC this year and staying soundfront - I'm very knowledgeable about freshwater fishing, but have no idea when it comes to saltawter.

So what I need is some help to catch some fish - I don't really care what kind of fish it is, just something to catch.  I have no boat so my options are limited to anything accessible by foot.

I have tons of freshwater gear and all different rods ranging from small 5 footers to 7-8 footers.  I also just picked up two saltawter casting rods at 13' and 10' foot each.

On top of suggestions for places to go, can someone recommend some what kind of tackle - bait - lures I should be using?

And finally I will also have a bunch of crap traps - does anyone know of any places that would be good for crabbing - or clamming?

I know I asked a lot in the post - but the people I'm going with have no knowledge of fishing and I want to show them a good time.

Thank you for all your help!
Sore Lip 'Em All -- Catch & Release

BP

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:01:04 AM »
Fishing the sound in the Nags Head area is tough without a boat.  There are very few places, and they are less than desirable.  I stick with the surf in South Nags Head or hit one of the many piers and try for Spanish Macks.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Need HELP! (Outer Banks - Duck, NC)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
Quote from: "keystoneman 85"
Duck NC

Hey guys,

I need some help.  I will be going to Duck NC this year and staying soundfront - I'm very knowledgeable about freshwater fishing, but have no idea when it comes to saltawter.

damn I just came off Hatteras yesterday... was in Buxton for 4 days... the catching sucked... one small sand shark...

So what I need is some help to catch some fish - I don't really care what kind of fish it is, just something to catch.  I have no boat so my options are limited to anything accessible by foot.

there's plenty of wading possibilities in the sound up there... a lot of sight fishing for puppy drum and if you can find a hole or slough fish flounder or what ever... you can head south to Nags head and run out hwy 64 west to any of the bridges and fish off the walk ways/catwalks...

I have tons of freshwater gear and all different rods ranging from small 5 footers to 7-8 footers.  I also just picked up two saltawter casting rods at 13' and 10' foot each.

try out front in the ocean also... you may pick up drum, cobia, sharks etc on the big rods...  use fresh cut bunker, mullet etc for bait... carry some fresh shrimp and squid for fishing the wash also for flounder, sea mullets, and croaker too... bring bucktails, jigs etc for plugging in the surf, sweeten the jigs and bucktails with squid strips or pieces of shrimp...

On top of suggestions for places to go, can someone recommend some what kind of tackle - bait - lures I should be using?

And finally I will also have a bunch of crap traps - does anyone know of any places that would be good for crabbing - or clamming?

again depending on what kind of pots/traps you have determines what you can set... and again you'll need a salt water license anywhere you fish the salt down here...

I know I asked a lot in the post - but the people I'm going with have no knowledge of fishing and I want to show them a good time.

Thank you for all your help!
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Coulter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 12:38:52 PM »
When are going...or did you go already? I'm heading down there Saturday morning. I usually just fish from Avalon Pier in Kill Devil Hills. That is a lot of fun itself. I also do a little bit of surf fishing. I don't fish in the sound mainly because it requires a separate license and I can catch the fish that are there in PA. Try around the Whalehead Huntiong Club for Crabbing.

Steve
It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds    ~Samuel Adams~

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:02:54 PM »
I'm heading down the first week of Sept.  Good luck to you and thanks for the info!

BP

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »
Quote from: "Coulter"
I don't fish in the sound mainly because it requires a separate license and I can catch the fish that are there in PA.

PA got flounder & croaker?  I'm not sure what you're saying.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »
you need a license to fish in the ocean or the sound... same ticket, $30.00 a year for non resident or I think it's $15 for 10 day ticket...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Coulter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 09:13:56 PM »
Nope no Flounder or Croakers in PA...but the fish that you find on the sound side are generally bass, sunfish and such...at least up around the Duck / Corolla area. It is generally freshwater that far north - the inlet is quite a ways south of there before you hit the salt water. The area might be considered slightly brackish at best. It is my understanding that these are the fish that you will catch in that area from what bthe local shops told me. if you cross over the banks to the ocean side then you are talking flounder, croaker, cobia, mackerel, etc.

When I bought my license last year they told me I would need a separate inland license to fish in the sound. So I just opted for the Coastal Recreational Fishing License (CRFL) that only cost ya $10 for ten days or as Dale mentioned $30 for a year. Or if you don't want to pay anything to fish head to one of the piers. You don't need a license at all to fish from the piers, they have a blanket license that covers anybody fishing from the pier.

Have fun fishing I'll let ya know how we make out this week :D

Steve
It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds    ~Samuel Adams~

BP

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »
Well?  What'd we catch?

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 02:16:56 PM »