Author Topic: Need HELP! (OC MD)  (Read 3346 times)

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
Need HELP! (OC MD)
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:20:49 AM »
Ocean City MD

Hey guys,

I need some help.  I will be going to OC MD this year and staying between OC and Assateague Island - I'm very knowledgeable about freshwater fishing, but have no idea when it comes to saltawter.

So what I need is some help to catch some fish - I don't really care what kind of fish it is, just something to catch.  I have no boat so my options are limited to anything accessible by foot.

I have tons of freshwater gear and all different rods ranging from small 5 footers to 7-8 footers.  I also just picked up two saltawter casting rods at 13' and 10' foot each.

On top of suggestions for places to go, can someone recommend some what kind of tackle - bait - lures I should be using?

And finally I will also have a bunch of crap traps - does anyone know of any places that would be good for crabbing - or clamming?

I know I asked a lot in the post - but the people I'm going with have no knowledge of fishing and I want to show them a good time.

Thank you for all your help!
Sore Lip 'Em All -- Catch & Release

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Need HELP! (OC MD)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 03:24:16 PM »
Rockfish should be able to help you out, he's big into saltawter fishing. have a great trip!
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
Need HELP! (OC MD)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:44:26 AM »
Thanks, bud!
Sore Lip 'Em All -- Catch & Release

BP

Need HELP! (OC MD)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »
There's a fishing pier at the south end of OC right at the inlet.  Great inlet fishing without a boat. Buy minnows & squid right at the pier for good flounder fishing. I hit the surf every AM bright & early and catch flounder, croaker, and kingfish, mostly the latter two.  I think you have to be off the beach by 9 or 10, but the fishing usually has slowed by then.  Try the "fish bites" (man made bloodworm substitute) and squid in the surf. Buy a couple spot or trout rigs, and a few sinkers of 1/2 oz. - 1.5 oz.. If you need more weight just add sinkers rather than purchasing 2-3 oz ones. Your freshwater gear is fine for a weeks worth of the fishing I just described. Just don't plan on setting casting records with 6-7 foot rods!
Surf fishing on Assateague is better and 24/7, but a little harder to get to, at least on the southern end.  I'm unfamiliar with north end access to the island.

http://www.daybreakfishing.com/SurfFishing.html
http://fishtalk.atbeach.com/

And finally I will also have a bunch of crap traps - does anyone know of any places that would be good for crabbing
North Pacific up around Alaska!
I believe you can do it right off the same fishing pier as long as the tide isn't too strong. The tide flow can be wicked at the inlets.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Need HELP! (OC MD)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:22:23 PM »
Quote from: "keystoneman 85"
Ocean City MD

Hey guys,

I need some help.  I will be going to OC MD this year and staying between OC and Assateague Island - I'm very knowledgeable about freshwater fishing, but have no idea when it comes to saltawter.

So what I need is some help to catch some fish - I don't really care what kind of fish it is, just something to catch.  I have no boat so my options are limited to anything accessible by foot.

I have tons of freshwater gear and all different rods ranging from small 5 footers to 7-8 footers.  

the 7-8 footers will work for the surf when fishing right in the wash for flounder or mullet etc... squid strips, minnows, or cut bait will work well... Carolina rig a flounder rig and use strips or live minnows for most all of the above...

I also just picked up two saltawter casting rods at 13' and 10' foot each.

use these 2 out on the beach during the early morning to chunk big baits out for striper or drum... if you find the right plugs you can plug the inlet at night on the out going tide... hard to tell what you might pull outta there...

On top of suggestions for places to go, can someone recommend some what kind of tackle - bait - lures I should be using?

And finally I will also have a bunch of crap traps - does anyone know of any places that would be good for crabbing - or clamming?

check on what your allowed for crab traps... they've gotten 1/2 crazy the last couple years, and you know you need a license down there in the back bay?...

I know I asked a lot in the post - but the people I'm going with have no knowledge of fishing and I want to show them a good time.

Thank you for all your help!
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...