Predator Hunting > Fur Handling

Questions from a new guy

(1/4) > >>

82Dead:
The first question is from my curiosity. What does everyone do with the fur bearers they kill?
The second question is about my intentions with fur bearers that I hopefully get. I would like to try to tan some of the furs I get in the upcoming season and make things such as hats from them. Does anyone else tan the furs themselves? If so what methods or products do you use? I have seen a few kits available from different trapping supply companies and wonder if anyone else buys these kits? The one that caught my attention was Rittel E-Z 100 tanning kit. Has anyone else tried this one? I had one fur sent to a tannery in NJ last year and it cost me $13.00 and I am pleased with the tan, I would just like to try it myself to see if I may achieve the same tan for making some things such as the hats or other garments. Any info would be great.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CoyoteJeff:
I sell all my fur to a local buyer. I have used the one tanning formula to tan a rabbit and deer hide for fly tying only but not sure what the name of it was. Comes in a orange bottle Not a bad tan but If i was going to make stuff I think I would send it out and have it tanned.

Leglifter:
Jeff, was it "trappers hide tanning formula"?
I did a deer, coon, muskrat, and oppossum with that stuff and they all came out stiff

CoyoteJeff:
Bob yea i think that is what it was. Mine where stiff to start with but if you work the hide it does loosen up some but not a lot.

Leglifter:
I worked mine pretty good too, but still alittle too stiff for a garment.
The oppossum came out the best because of the thin leather.
I did hear that you have to thin the leather as much as you can to get a softer tan.
A fleshing machine would be nice, but I've heard of guys using a wire wheel.

--- Quote from: 82Dead on April 22, 2009, 04:06:36 PM ---The first question is from my curiosity. What does everyone do with the fur bearers they kill?
The second question is about my intentions with fur bearers that I hopefully get. I would like to try to tan some of the furs I get in the upcoming season and make things such as hats from them. Does anyone else tan the furs themselves? If so what methods or products do you use? I have seen a few kits available from different trapping supply companies and wonder if anyone else buys these kits? The one that caught my attention was Rittel E-Z 100 tanning kit. Has anyone else tried this one? I had one fur sent to a tannery in NJ last year and it cost me $13.00 and I am pleased with the tan, I would just like to try it myself to see if I may achieve the same tan for making some things such as the hats or other garments. Any info would be great.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--- End quote ---

I ship my fur to NAFA, put up, to sell at the auction.
The cost of tanning an animal isn't bad, but the shipping will kill ya.
Try vandykes site for some self tanning formulas.

I would love to find one that does a nice garment grade tan.
Let us know how it works when you're done

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version