Author Topic: Beaver  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Beaver
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
Anyone trapping Beaver this season?
I caught #5 today. My limit in my home area.
5 traps, set for 1 day, 3 traps set for 1 day, 2 traps set for 1 day and 1 trap set for 1 day = 5 Beaver

4 came from a swamp/pond Beaver made, Property owned by a local concrete block company where they dig for sand. Locals call it the Sand Plant.
This morning, a small Beaver came from a section of ole canal.
An old friend now traps Beaver only. So we got together today and he's going to clean up the swamp and canal because I think there are a few left and both properties are nuisance complains, plus friend has a few more spots of his own to set up. So he's setting a few traps today and tomorrow. I told friend I did see sign of two Otters at the Sand Plant.

We have a stable population of Beaver in the Susquehanna Valley. Our limit was 5 years ago, then PGC upped it to 10 Beaver limit, recently PGC dropped it back to a 5 Beaver limit. Many guys in my area limit out fast, with good weather.  When our limit was 10 Beaver, two ole guys limited out the first day with 20 Beaver on the first check. They were trapping the Susquehanna by boat in the Selinsgrove/Port Trevorton  area.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Beaver
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »
congratulations on the quick limit out... now you can work the land line again hard...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »
Dale, not much to land trap around here, but I will set a few traps and do some calling.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:04:02 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D OK then get the lawn mower out and cut the grass as it has been growing!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Congrats on the early limit too  ;) ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:38:40 AM »
Goose, you certainly worry about lawns or the grass growing. Too many leaves on our lawn for grass to grow much. Lawn mowing isn't on my mind.
I took the mower off the tractor and put on loader awhile ago. I use bucket to drag/carry and stack logs. Logs turn into camp wood. I do have at least 13-14 Ash trees to cut down this winter on our property. Emerald Ash Bore got to them. Plus I have a Cherry and Maple that I will take down.
Anyone want any Pine? This summer a storm blew threw and uprooted an 80' Spruce that missed the house and outbuildings. I have that stacked in 8' logs. I can load it for you and you can take to camp.
Anyone else Beaver trapping?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:40:19 AM by Hern »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 11:05:13 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) Hauled 2½ loads of poplar and cherry yesterday  :P :P :P now I have a bunch of splitting to do as some pieces are 40" across  :P :P :P :P I thought this was going to be a simple project....WRONG!! ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline YoteSki

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »
I'm giving beaver a go this year first year for it...learning what not to do hahahaha ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Keith
Crawford county
Top Of the Food Chain
District 5

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 05:03:40 AM »
My best to you YoteSki.
They can be easy as Muskrat. If you or someone else missed Beaver, they can be the hardest thing to catch on four legs.
Keep us updated. What's your limit?

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »
 ;) ;) YoteSki go git them... ;D ;D ;D ;D..that is one critter I've never caught  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ Best of luck  ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline YoteSki

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »
20 daily 40 a season for 1b more than I need!
Keith
Crawford county
Top Of the Food Chain
District 5