Author Topic: The MO of someone messing with your traps..  (Read 2015 times)

uncle buck

The MO of someone messing with your traps..
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:08:07 PM »
Things are getting bad now.. elbow room... trappers sharing the same farms...I had one trap that was sprung... The swivel J was open.. I had two anchors in the ground. and the trap and chain was stretched out straight from the dirt hole.. There was not indications of a struggle what so ever... I started to think that maybe this other trapper has been opening the J swivel where the cable anchor attaches to the swivel. Also had quite a few sprung traps too.. You would think if something was in the trap I referenced there would be some kind of a sign of a struggle if a coyote was trying to get out of the trap.. Maybe i'm wrong? Could a coyote be so strong that he or she could free herself from the trap and open the J swivel  just on a few yanks of the chain????????  There appeared to be a few hairs on the jaws... Gee maybe they stole the coyote????:)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:11:40 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: The MO of someone messing with your traps..
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 05:43:10 AM »
Deer snap traps and leave little sign.
Opened J-hook, sprung trap...I would have to looksee for myself at your equipment. Yes, a Coyote can open them up on a lunge or two, Coyote can pop jaws from frame & Coyote can bend trigger and bend bottom frame (been there with all of these).
If a person was going to the trouble of springing your trap and opening your J-hook, he would certainly steal the trap at that point. Possibly your J-hooks aren't completely closed or you may need to change your chain attach point. By that, center swivel your chain opposed to attaching to side. or vise versa. or Shorten your chain and pin 'em down? I would have to see how you have your footholds are rigged but still think Coyote and equipment are to blame.
If no blood pool or no distinct catch circle (which you didn't mention) it wasn't stolen. Cool down, SEE what you are looking at.
Uncle Buck, I rarely miss a Coyote nowadays with my equipment, but years ago I did. Same as you...equipment failure, trap sprung, chain extended, no catch circle, no critter. This happened often when I was learning how to Hold Coyote. Key word- hold. Proper size trap, proper tuned up trap, proper swivel and chain attachment, proper staking are all part of a system to go with proper set construction to HOLD what steps on the pan.
Just like getting a new gun & scope still in the boxes. There are certain details one must do to fine tune and match up gun, correct mounts, centering scope and finding the right ammo to constantly touch holes in paper. Now you have your equipment right and feel confident. Know what I mean? Same applies to each and every foothold trap you own.
If you have more question, feel free to ask here or pm me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:49:43 AM by Hern »

uncle buck

Re: The MO of someone messing with your traps..
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
Thank you Hern your just the person I was hoping would comment on this post..   The trap I think was a Duke coil spring # 2.  Hence we probably had the wrong trap at that set.. We have now gone to using only the 550's offset jaw.. The trap in question was purchased used a price that was out of this world.. LOL  There are a lot of deer around this particular farm too...Soon we will be putting out restraints and hoping we will finally get the coyotes...Could be that it was a deer by the way you said that very minimal activity. Funny here we did double stake it with cable anchors.. That worked but that swivel that attaches to the anchor cable that's what got bent and opened...  Thank you again Hern I appreciate it...