Author Topic: Coon Cuff.. what bait do you like for coon?  (Read 4166 times)

uncle buck

Coon Cuff.. what bait do you like for coon?
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:36:39 AM »
Marshmellows... The coon really like them....

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coon Cuff.. what bait do you like for coon?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) sardines is my answer to all but a few coon sets...not matter what trap I'm using  :P :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:01:43 AM »
Sure is a lot of coon this year! We are enjoying it just to trap them. Farmer is happy! Using a new coon bait that looks like rabbit pellets.
We èven caught a skunk in the coon cuffs  with this bait!  :)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 02:03:41 PM »
UB, since Coon prices are down, I think guys laid off trapping Coon this season, Coon hunters still running dogs but not killing either.
What's Jerry paying for Coon in the round? A buck, buck and half?

Bait for Dog Proofs (DP's) I usually use dry Dog Food and Mini Marshmallows (both purchased at Dollar Store) in the tube, below the trigger. Then put clear plastic cup over trap. I will put some of this bait on the ground next to DP. I get used deep fryer oil, free, from local 'Wings' restaurant. I'll squirt fryer oil on ground near DP and use for trailing scent.
UB, I never used Coon Candy or the pellets.
Are you putting any on the ground or just in trap?
Several years ago, I made a few Coon feeders from Kitty Litter buckets.
I did a study with the Coon feeders on trail cam pics and videos, during late summer and early fall.
Side by Side, I had shelled Corn in one, Dry Dog Food in one and Dry Cat Food in other feeder. From my observations, pics and videos the Coon preferred Dry Dog Food. That feeder was always emptied long before Corn or Cat Food.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:11:01 PM by Hern »

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 04:36:27 AM »
 ;D I use left over Pizza  ;D         Seriously last year I used some type of coon pellets my friend gave me. He got them from Doug Chubb "Chubbs Trapping Supplies" I took two of the nicest raccoons I ever caught using them. Usually I use DG dog or cat food like Hern but would not be opposed to using those pellets again...... 8) I used this photo because I think that raccoon on the right resembles "the Goose" look at the shape  ::) and it looks like he is sticking his tongue out at everybody else  :P....

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 11:02:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D And you wish you could look that good ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 12:55:18 AM »
Coon prices are down and Jerry only paying $1.50 from what I heard.  We are only trapping one farm and if the coon are large we are getting them tanned. Today my son got the biggest one ever... about a  30 pounder and it was with marshmellows..  The farmer  wants them gone...He's been having problem with them this year.  Been hunting that farm now for  29 years.. So we are just enjoying trapping as a father son thing... We don't take them in for the $1.50 that's for sure...  We are not setting traps on any other farm just this one for predator control. Thank you for the info on the dog food. We will have to try that. However we are going to pull them on Friday.  Just was an outstanding week.. Was something to catch a skunk in the Coon Cuffs.. I did see that picture on huntingpa.. The guy caught that black bear by the tongue in a CC.  This was just posted but it occurred like two years ago in Clearfield county... They had to get to warden to use the dart gun on the bear...What we notice when calling for fox that the coon were in certain trees.. Here we did someday time scouting and the coon are eating all kinds of berries in certain trees... We put out coon cuffs (6) and so far every CC has at least caught one or more coon...  Some of the berries are orange, some red but I tell you what ... They sure like the tree with the wild grapes growing in them.. Now the grapes are like rasins. So putting CC by every tree with berries in it have produced coon for us... 

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »
However the pellets were put in the trap and the ground.. You turn the bottle upside down to activate the bait..  Kind of expensive for the bait but $9.00. However they sure do like it.. .Of course again ...that  30 pounder liked those mini marshmellows.. We had some in the trapping basket from last year yet so that's how old the mellows were..

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 06:17:14 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Old marshmallows just like UB  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:26 PM »
Wow never caught so much coon... Landowner is sure excited over it that's for sure...

Offline j76clev2

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 02:06:39 PM »
I've caught 4 coon,  3 males 1 female in 6 days.  The males all on dry dog food with shellfish oil dribbled on the rim of the trap and covered with a white styrafoam cup.  The female took the trap with a scoop of ground up trout and salmon oil dripped on the rim.  2 on a creek bank and 2 in a corn field edge adjacent to a dry creek bed.  This is my first year trapping and id like to say I've learned a lot from reading these boards you guys are the best.

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »
You all have heard of the black bear a few years back getting his tongue stuck in a dog less coon cuff...So far I have caught coon of course but skunk and possum in the dogless traps.. :)  :)