Author Topic: Decoys  (Read 2083 times)

uncle buck

Decoys
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »
Just like bobcat hunting, just like hunting with lights affixed to the gun, just like decoys.. Pa Laws on the books make it illegal to hunt with certain or hunt for certain things. Because of this even the most seasoned Pa hunters are not trained or knowledgeable in the use of NEW things we are now allowed to use.

I would like to get discussions Again on decoys..read in a last year Predator Extreme about coyotes... When calling, If you can get coyotes attention to a decoy they drop their guard and come right in if they have a visual of a prey animal. In this case your decoy going back and forth.. They hone in on sight and don't worry about coming down wind to see if the predator is the real McCoy.

downwindoutdoors video entitled:New Video - You Gunna Shoot 'im? was a nice example of a coyote coming to a call but it was honed in on the decoy not the people making the call..  Could it be that we, in Pa would get more shots if we started using decoys for coyotes.. I don't use decoys but always the coyote hone in on the caller be it electronic or mouth calling.. Should we all have a JIB  AKA Jack In the Box or equal decoy out there in a field to make our PA coyotes drop their guard and go to the decoy since they have a visual instead of coming to us?

Would we get those shots.. how they just step out into a field and head for the decoy and not the Foxpro or the Crit-R-Call?
I have a JIB, The Woodpecker with the broken wing,  A feather, Fawn Decoy, and the green ball Live Heart Decoy  should we be using these tools more now for hunting our Pa Coyotes?  Remember for the longest time they would have slapped our hands for using decoys. This is new to us so many of us have not really played around a lot with them????

what are some of the decoyos that are available out ther.. I feel thay have to move so battery or electronics works best!!!However I know people who brag on just a feather on a string???
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:48:39 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Decoys
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »
Unclebuck
I purchased the jack attack, but have not tested it much yet. I to am interested if it will make a difference, but right now I have not needed it for red fox. But if I want them real close it should help. I think it is like all equipment, the right spot and set up it should work good. The story is unwritten on how they will work. I too remember everybody wanted then legal so they could use them, but not much said about them or any one swearing by them in pa yet. Maybe we will have to work on changing that and get some facts.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
i have yet to find a use for one.  i have tried different set ups and actually on one of my set ups it cost me a nice coyote. 

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
Scott could be that it needs to be placed in a middle of a field not the woods?  However while your walking out to place it in the middle of the field the hunt could be over if a coyote is close by??  See again.. Back here in Pa coyotes could be just laying in the woodlot next to the field your going to place it in.. 

Buckwheat I feel the same about fox and decoys.. Not really needed for fox.. Like the comment above you could bust yourself placing it out in the middle of a field.. Especially during crusty snow conditions..