Author Topic: Corn is still up???  (Read 3002 times)

uncle buck

Corn is still up???
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:47:53 PM »
Traveled Interstate 78 this week-end.. Could not beleive that many of the farms had standing corn yet....
I know this has been one bumper year for hard and soft mast for wildlife... paper even said that it was going to be hard to find deer since there was so much mast....Probably the standing corn made deer hunting hard too.....Might be that should the farmers cut the corn that  the flintlock season might be a good one this year.... Also predator hunting might even get better too???????Fox probably spending a lot of time in the standing corn.....Mousing.....Why come to your call?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Corn is still up???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:31:52 AM »
The whole region of central Pennsylvania that I predator hunt and trap has standing corn.
Talked with several large corn farmers and they say it's cheaper to let mother nature dry corn than run prophane heated corn driers.
Coyote & Fox are still using standing corn to lay up and Coon, Muskrat and Beaver are still using for food source in my area.
The standing corn really slowed down my trapping this season. I didn't want to set nearby because of getting my traps run over. So I passed on these spot. Some spot still have corn standing. But it does provide late season food for above mentioned furbearers and a good target area for a fur harvester.

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
When I hunted archery, I still hunted during the day for deer bedded down in it. It actually worked once. I've seen large groups of em come out when the picker goes through it.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:53:41 AM »
It was a very "wet" year...if you cut the corn when the ground is soaked, you run the chance of molding your crop and ruining it....lots of money down the drain.
As Hern said, its cheaper to play the waiting game and let Mother Nature do the work.

Also fields could be in a low lying wet area, which would swamp tractors and machinery.
I noticed a lot of icy ponds in what should be corn fields this past weekend
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:53:32 AM »
L2F,

Flooded corn=great duck hunting as the corn floats on the water :D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
 :D :D  got me laughing on that one...LOL
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
I'm serious about that!! That's why they flood the timber in Arkie...so the acorns float on top... ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
I'm serious about that!! That's why they flood the timber in Arkie...so the acorns float on top... ;)

Neat outdoor info there...I never knew that....

I remember one late October... I was calling a farm and there was a farmer cutting corn at night time on the next farm.  I shined my red lens over into the direction of the picking.  The fox where working rightr along with the picker...They were grabbing all the field mice as they ran out the sides or ends.  Kind of gave me an education on how smart predators are, how they like the corn to hunt,  and why they are vunerable to any kind of high pitched fieldmouse sounds...