Author Topic: Oh That Hurts!!!!!!......Half Moon Cut Above the Eye  (Read 2651 times)

uncle buck

Oh That Hurts!!!!!!......Half Moon Cut Above the Eye
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
No matter who we are .....We all have had the dreaded scope in the eye trick.  Most times we are shooting magnum load from the bench and we just don't have a good hold on the rifle..Usually it could be your first shot.  Know quite a few who have been kicked by the Model 24V shotgun blast....
Some times we mount the scope back to far and no matter what we do.  Hold it tight, etc your going to get a hit above the eye.

Many times people do not think...They just place a scope on a gun....When mounting a gun we should start to plan things...Ask ourselves what is the Eye Relief on The Scope?  Is the gun a Magnum?  7MM Rem Mag 300 Win Mag etc?
Also what a bummer to mount a scope, bore sight it, travel to the range, and end up getting clunked with the first shot...
One might like to get a scope that has 4 inches of Extended Eye Relief or more to it!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway just a post to make you think about when you do mount a scope to a gun....

Let see it only happened to me once and it was a 3006.  Not a magnum but it was my first shot off of a rifle rest...
I wonder how many of us are walking around with that MOON gash scar right above the shooting eye?

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Oh That Hurts!!!!!!......Half Moon Cut Above the Eye
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:10:38 PM »
Muzzle Brakes for me.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »
have never done it to myself even with the magnum loads,  when mounting a scope i always make sure i have enought room.  i often hear of guys doing it when the have to shoot up, like if a deer was up on a slope, that it changes the angle of the scope and you think your further than you are and go get hit. 

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 05:23:32 PM »
I have never nailed the eye, the worst thing I have done is tattoo my shoulder with a shotgun not being tight   ;D

Although we have a picture of my nephew who cut his eye with a scope    ;D
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »
yup my whole family got one a 308 norma mag,seems we always seemed to forget.

Offline payotechaser

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »
When i was younger my uncle gave me a 223 over 12 gauge.I got excited one day shooting at something, and had it on shotgun not rifle and got suckered with scope above eye still have the scar.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 09:17:14 PM »
I've never had one but I watched my brother and my nephew each get one. It wasn't funny at the time but it did make for some good hearted joking around the deer camp. It happened to my brother the day before he shot the tail off of a big buck. Now that earned some big time joking. I insisted that he "tag" the tail and tried to convince him that he was done hunting. It was real good when I gave him the phone number to my Taxidermist. His "new" nickname that season was "scope eye".
President PPHA