Author Topic: Out Fri and SAT....no dice  (Read 1907 times)

Offline millstine

Out Fri and SAT....no dice
« on: January 22, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »
Went out this weekend with no luck  :-[. Anyway my question is, if your hunting unfamiliar territory what calls do you start out with? We have been using cottontail distress and are hunting on fields at the base of a mountain. Also, how long do you play your calls?
Thanks.
Cool thing of the weekend was a hawk that was creeping up on us lol probably thought he had a free lunch.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Out Fri and SAT....no dice
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »
Never had much luck with rabbit sounds.  I do better with bird sounds, coaxer calls, lip squeeks.

Offline millstine

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:21:09 AM »
I appreciate the help.  I know its random but how much trial and error did it take to get your first fox/yote? I try and learn something from every trip but we are missing something and cant figure it out.

Offline Fox101

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:04:41 AM »
try to get hooked up with someone in your area that has experience in calling ,and if you have spots try to take them there ,I too am learning therefore my calling is sub par ,and I only have state land to hunt .at least with a experiencedpredator hunter you can pick up on some tactics . now in saying that I have yet to see anything on my own,but spirits and hopes are high . maybe try opening the subject up on a forum .
Joe Radle

Every day is a new chance to learn........

District 4

Offline coyote2012

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
I just joined PPHA last week and happened to get my first coyote last Friday about 11:30 AM I have been hunting them for 4 years but got more serious the past two years. I headed to 2G to try and fill my bobcat tag or anything else that came in after about 30 mins. of calling with a Kettle Creek Big Pekker he came in and I shot him at 30yards with a 12 gauge it was my fourth set. All I can say is keep trying I had my share of failures getting busted for various reasons and kept a mental note of what went wrong each time it can be frustrating but it is well worth it when you harvest your first one. I purchased a book last year written by Andrew Lewand and found it very useful.

Offline Jake

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 08:38:24 PM »
I found this time of the Yr. in the Southwestern Pa. the Morning Hunt works for me, just before daylight I team up with another hunter on a hill side  spread out around a tree row and just at daylight, we start to hit Turkey calls back and forth, really works well, The Yotes come running in.    Like I said works for me.   it is natural for turkeys to come off the roost a first daylight and call each other to group up.  it's nothing in distress, they think it's an easy meal.
It is, What it Is.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:21:05 AM »
Sounds like a nice set up ;)

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »
yeah that does sound like a nice setup!! I like it.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Musky73

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
Congrats on your first!
Hand called too. Cool!
district 2

Offline coyote2012

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
Hey Thanks Musky 73 what part of District 2 are you in that's where I'm from ?