Author Topic: squirrel hunting today  (Read 2608 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
squirrel hunting today
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:18:20 PM »
took Forrest out for squirrels this morning for the mentor youth hunt.  We got to our place a couple of minutes early so I tried I couple of coyote howls to see if they were on the mountain, they weren't or at least didn't like my howls.  We got into the woods at first light and the squirrels stayed in the tops of the trees knocking down acorns for the first 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.  We did have 7 deer come by us looked like 6 does and 1 buck, could not count points.  Forrest said theirs one on the ground, picked up the gun and bang, i never saw it, said he aimed behind the shoulder, we went over and it was about a 50 yard shot and hit behind the shoulder 1 for 1.  we then walked up to another area and we were watching two of them on the ground but wasn't a safe shot because of house and a road but i look behind me and there was one walking right at us, Forrest stood up leaned the gun against the tree and shot, said he aimed for the head.  went over and he did hit it in the head about a 35 yard shot. 2 for 2.   We then walked to our next spot, on the way we jumped one that was on the ground it ran and jumped up on a log about 80 yards away, Forrest took the shot and said he missed it because he rushed the shot, i then saw the squirrel run up the tree. 2 for 3.  we contiued our walk to our spot, i just got to our spot and noticed a bear standing about 75 yards away staring at us, we watched him for a couple of minutes until he left then Forrest said theres another squirrel, it jumped up on a log and he shot him behind the shoulder, about 65 yards 3 for 4.  We walked down to another spot and on the way we jumped a small doe, she ran alittle bit and stopped we watched her for a couple of minutes and contuied to our next spot.  on the way we jumped another squirrel and forrest shot him behind the shoulder at about 50 yards, he was now 4 for 5.  we sat at our last spot and they seemed to be done moving for the morning, i looked at my watch and it was 11:30.  boy time flies when you are having fun.  Nice day to be in the woods.  I will post some pictures later of Forrest and his squirrels.  He was using his 17 hmr today. 

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
Re: squirrel hunting today
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »
Good going guys.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »
Nice shooting, as always! Great job Forrest.
FayetteNam

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »
Now that is the makings of a great hunter. 
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 08:30:36 AM »
Congrats go out to the two of you for getting him outdoors and for you to take the time to teach.....ED

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »
Nice!   Good story too...Keep up the good work Forrest!!!!!Notice...he's not using a shotgun like we did when we were kids.. He's using a rifle...
There is a lot of vegetation on the ground and trees too..that is quite an accomplishment..