Author Topic: how long do you leave em?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
how long do you leave em?
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
 Since I'm kinda new to trapping, if you have sign in an area and place traps nearby in a variety of sets, how long do you leave them before pulling them if nothing is caught?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: how long do you leave em?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »
I have kept canine traps in the same location all season long near my home. But these are good locations and good travelways. By that, I catch the locals and have a shot at all canines traveling though my area (dispersal).
Generally, I take vacation to trap and most canine traps are there for 7 to 10 days. Some locations, I wish I could keep 'em in all season, because some locations are producers.
If I don't make a catch in 3 days, I am ticked. I second guess myself on day 3. What the heck?? is wrong. For the most part it isn't my location, lure or set...It's that there is no critters or one or two shy critters.
Every few years, someone tells me about a pack of Coyotes howl'n every night. You gotta get 'em outa here, Hern.
What I have experienced when trap'n season rolls around the Coyotes are gone from this property. And futher work reveals that the Coyotes were howl'n in the late summer.
From my understanding thishere howl'n in the smmer time were pups testing out their vocal chords. By trap'n season, archery, turkey, youth/senior Deer hunts, and small game hunters hit the fields and woods to push Coyotes to different home range plus pups have started their dispersal. Also in my area, Corn is being taken off and this is were Coyotes spend alot of time during the summer and early fall.