Author Topic: Do stakes bother coyotes if their close to the trap....  (Read 1765 times)

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
Do stakes bother coyotes if their close to the trap....
« on: October 07, 2011, 01:41:45 PM »
I havn't added any chain to the dozen traps I got and was woundering if the stakes a foot away from the traps will scare off the target animal...fox...bobcat  and coyote....thanks ED

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Do stakes bother coyotes if their close to the trap....
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »
Not if you do it right.  Stake below ground level and bed trap over top if you can.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Do stakes bother coyotes if their close to the trap....
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 04:09:01 PM »
I haven't set any traps for a number of years but I use to hit the predators pretty hard.Rebar driven under the trap use to be the method and still is for most folks.Cross stake for coyotes for extra holding power.The last few years I trapped I was using cable stakes that will hold much better than rebar and are much easier to carry along.And another reason I started using cable stakes is because of scent.This is just my theory and you can call me crazy but when you are pounding away at the top of a rebar stake you are exposing raw metal which is going to give off more scent than a cable stake driven 13 inches or so into the ground and a cable that is not going to rust.I guess I got a little off track and to answer your question if the stake is not under the trap and is placed away from the trap bed I would think you are creating an area that they will want to dig at.If done properly it could work but not ideal.If you are thinking about using cable stakes get your self a good puller or you can plan on paying the nearest chiropractor a visit.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:10:36 PM by foxtrot »