Author Topic: Fox Guns  (Read 3122 times)

uncle buck

Fox Guns
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »
22250.....Reloaded down yes but factory ammo um just two much for the little fox.

The 22 WMR....Yes......used it a lot over snow when no light was required...Bulb Squeaker, full white camo and a bulb squeaker...
17 Rem.......Not only good for fox but coyotes too... Prefer the 25 grainers.  Same for the 17 fireball.....  Don't own a  17 fireball since I have a 17 Rem.  Just recently I compared the ammo....Never realized the 17 fireball was so much smaller then the 17 Rem.  Probably if I ever get a custom Encore barrel made..Would like a 20 inch barrel, standard contour, in the 17 Fireball.  Kind of a carbine type light rifle instead of the bull barrel I have for the Encore.

22 Hornet.....Yes great fox gun...... use 45 grain SP.

222 Rem  and the 223......Use to think they were a bit to heavy....However I can't wait to try out the 50 Grain Silver Tip bullets that Gerald Stewart recommended as good  fur bullets.....They are made by Combined Tec...AKA WIN/Nosler....You can buy them as factory bullets from Win

Then there is the 17 HMR.  I don't own one since I have the 17 CF.......However I know of a few people that have now taken fox at 100 yards......I think I wuould use these like I would use the 22 WMR.. Only when twilight conditons prevailed at night over snow....Death runs when it's dark....Hard to find once they take off...

What kind of calibers do you like for fox?

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Fox Guns
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »
i have been using the shotgun most of the season, when i pull out the rifle it will be the 17 fireball. 

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:24:19 PM »
The 17 hmr has done fairly well for me but the death run can be an issue at longer distances in my experience.Supper accurate though.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Like Scott, I use mostly shotgun but when they start swinging a little wider arouns my setup I will switch to my 223. My 22 mag is a great gun but they was to many times I lost fox in holes before they ever expired. This happend alot my first year of hunting predators at night.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 12:37:21 AM »
Should the combined Tech...Win/Nosler Silver tip 50 grain bullets and or the Win Factory silver Tip 223 do work like Gerald Stewart claims in the DVD.  This could mean that any fox hunter with a 222 Rem (silver tip reload)  or a 223 (silver tip reload or factory) will have a gun equal to a 17 center fire....

I do not own a 223 bolt action or 223 Encore barrel...both would rip a fox if you hit it in the wrong place.....I have recently talked to an hunter on here and he gave me int osome good info about what one should and should not do with the 223 using the 55 grain SP.
I do have a 223/12 savage 24 and if this Combined Tech Silver tip bullet should become a fox hunters dream fur gun...I might have to start to use the combo gun again like in the old days...
I do own a Savage 340 in the 222 Rem......I do plan to reload this caliber and try this bullet on first chucks and if I get good results will have to try it on thin skinned fox..
Sure wish I had a place I could just say to myself?  "I am going out back and shoot this ammo in at 100 yards?"  I do not!!! I have to go to my club and I find it both frustrating and trying to work on loads and shooting in and having to put up with the crowds.  almost have to have an eye in the back of your head to watch out they don't shoot you.  LOL LOL That is something I just have to contend with.

However I did see the Johnny Stewart produced DVD and they were shooting bobcats with  the silvertips and it was not ripping up the  cats..
I was so impressed with this that I did contact Gerald Stewart and ask him about it..He told me..."Don't use the Silver Tips in the 22250 but it works in the 223."

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 05:27:09 AM »
The nice thing about with the silver tips is they are poly coated.  Which actually speeds them up faster.  I used them in my 30-06 years ago.  I shot a grey in S.C. with it at extreme close range.  Lil hole in big hole out, but did not really exploded the explode the fox like I thought it would.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff