Author Topic: Gun Color When Hunting The Full Moon  (Read 4523 times)

uncle buck

Gun Color When Hunting The Full Moon
« on: August 30, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »
This is one of those  IMO post......I am a firm believer in using light colors...Like Predator Fall Grey when hunting during the FULL MOON.  I have been calling for a long time and have had more call in's when using Fall Grey instead of SWAT Black, Advantage,  Woolrich,  blue Jeans, Browns,  etc etc etc.

I am in the market for a new shotgun...I was going to get a pure black one.....  Then I started to thinking about it...BLACK?   Wow that is the worst color IMO to use during a Full Moon.  Even Advantage would not be a good color.  I suppose what I need to do is to get me some kind of light colored Vet Tape to cover my gun then the pure black shotgun would not be so bad..Since I could use it during the dark nights... I do have a Stalker BPS that I use...Here I am wearing Fall Grey Predator Brand camo and carrying a black gun at times...Um going to have to change  the blackness of the gun when calling the full moon now.  Something how we think of taking care of the different filters to blend in when hunting the Full Moon but there I stand at times with a Black BPS in my hand....

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: Gun Color When Hunting The Full Moon
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »
Good post. Personally, I only worry about the color of my firearm in snow. IMO, I feel there is darker things than my shotgun in the woods I'm hunting in. I could be wrong though, it's just an opinion but I wouldn't base a gun purchase on 1 of 4 different moon phases. Leaves me scratching my head though.
FayetteNam

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »
UB here is an idea for ya.  When I hunt in the full moon or snow.  I take an oversized white pillow case, descented of course, cut a hole for the muzzle and my red dot and put that over my shotgun.  I can get both arms into it and I'm able to use my hands on the mouse squeeker and pull the hammer back on the Encore.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »
Hey Dave, make sure you take off the pillow case before going into public, you wouldn't want anyone to think you're a ghost or something.
President PPHA

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:00:55 PM »
Hey Dave, make sure you take off the pillow case before going into public, you wouldn't want anyone to think you're a ghost or something.

I don't wear over my head silly.   It just goes over my wifes head.  Oh wait a minute did I say that out loud.  Any ways I slip over the the shotgun only.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
District 2

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:04:24 PM »
I'm really glad you clarified that Dave, I promise I will never tell your wife what you said. LOL
President PPHA

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »
She knows I got the pillow case over her head now
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
District 2

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »
You the man Dave.
President PPHA

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:20:50 AM »
I have been thinking of getting a gun or two dipped.  I think gun color is more important for predators than most people think.  I have just recently started putting more weight on this theory.  I have in the past wrapped my guns in white vet wrap in the winter.

I can't say that a black gun or any other color has hurt me in the past but some form of camo can not hurt.  I need all the help I can get.

"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 12:06:42 AM »
IMO  when I do wear that black SWAT gear when hunting the full moon I see JACK_______.  So  having a black Stalker BPS pump might also hurt too.....Something how going to Fall Grey has improved my call ins during a Full Moon....The great Dennis Kirk recommends that you wear all white camo during a full moon in his book...Now I have said this before that I would not want to do that since the police would be thinking I was going to or holding one of those meetings in a feild where they burn lumber........However the light grey of Predator Brand Camo works for me...Also great for hunting the Northeast when you want to hide in the Birch Trees, rocks on clear cuts over the mountains in NEPA and when there is light snow on the ground....Might have to look for some of that Vet Horse tape in a light color and tape that there BPS Stalker up during a full moon to Fire For Effect...

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 01:24:11 PM »
In a full moon there is gonna be dark shadows everywhere competing with a dark (slim) gun. I think the bigger enemy would be the glare from a shiny ribbed vents or barrel. My theory makes a little sense because it is proven that a red lens light apears black to predators so we would have to hunt without the use of light, or would we use a white or amber light? I brought up another question. Opinions please!
FayetteNam

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »
We have discussed this one before and there seems to be a lot of different opinions.  I have better luck with the amber lense in full moon conditions, but i don't see the eyes as easy.  i have tried (limited but more this year) to use the white during full moon.  imo glare and casting a shadow is what spooks them. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 02:34:32 PM »
here is my thought on the gun issue.  I have hunted full moon nights a few times and can tell ya that a few now have been the best nights I have had.  only thing I change compared to usual is I stay more secluded into the shadows.  doing this I believe that it keeps the critters from seeing me very well.  I do not change to camo or anything else.  just stick to the shadows.  you keep that light out in front of ya they won't see you at all.  I have mostly used a red light.  even over snow.  I have tried using a light with no filter at all just a white light and did not see much difference in the way they respond.  but I did notice more people stop and yell at ya if your light beam is visable from the road.  I guess they feel that we are out poaching deer.  so I stick with red.  I am going to try a blue hue led light this year.  I have only tried it a few times on animals I spotted while down at my creek lot mainly coons and they did not seem to mind it.  I hope to test it further this fall and winter.  an led lights batterys do not dim as quick as a regular light and the bulb going out is allmost non existant.  of course like UB stated it is a IMO post.  everyone has a differnet way of doing things and it makes us all more knowledgable in predator calling. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
This is always a tuff subject.Heres my two cents or so.Just last year I started using a black gun,if anything my success rate went up.I think the sheen of the firearm is probably more important than the color,a high gloss finish is a wonderful thing to look at but not very practical for hunting purposes.A light colored camo certainly couldn't hurt on a moonlit night but couldn't honestly say that it would be worth possibly devaluing your gun by giving it a paint job.At least if I painted it it would loose value.Just stay in the shadows and use your light as your shield.   

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 10:10:25 PM »
Good thread...never thought about changing the color of the gun for moon phase.  What I do is tape my barrel since it is SS with Cabelas camo gun tape and the stock is wood so I just let that is is but maybe I need to think more on the topic.  Anybody ever try using ASAT camo?  I have been thinking of picking up some ASAT or some of that newer Realtree stuff out this year as it is very light colored.