Predator Hunting > Predator Biology

Logic use it and your call ins will increase

(1/2) > >>

uncle buck:
the coyote a  mammal and so are we... What impacts us impact the coyote the mammal too..We like food, we like sex, we like to protect our turf. we like to hang out with other mammals. We also are curious.  So when calling to stimulate that response in their brain use sounds that do that.. Nothing like periods of silence to stimulate a coyotes curiosity of "What is the coyote that just entered my area up to?" The turf thing prevails there too... wind... Just like us we want to get out of the wind.. So does the coyote.. .He or she will be on the leeward side of the hill where the other prey animals are too...So call with the wind at your back then..toward the  top of the hill.. the wind break (Leeward) on the other side is where the prey and coyotes are..just say if the  wind is up to 15 MPH +.. The coyote the mamal is staying out of the cold wind just like you want too..

uncle buck:
Use sounds that carry too in heavy winds... woodpecker, jackrabbits. remember once that wind reaches the coyote they probably won't smell you then...

Misterjake23:
Great sound knowledge !!

uncle buck:
Mammals..  we are mammals predators are mammals.. ever notice how our breath when it enters the cold air causes steam.. I sometimes use that to determind wind direction.  However that not the jest of this post.

When your calling in the daytime and it's cold... Watch for things like that from incoming predators..I was in my early days of calling in NEPA Wyoming Valley... It was near Plains Township near Valley Dam watershed.. I was calling in a powerline that is about 100 yards down from the dam... I look up on the power line about 80 yards away and I can see a rock with a pie size den hole.. What ever was in that hole the warm breath and the cold morning gave away it's position... A Greene (About 1988) I just never thought of seeing if I could lure that out of it's den... The way the warm vapor was shooting out of the hole I probably called it in on the run.. It might have saw me and scooted down the hole... The critters breath hitting the cold gave it's presence away..  Many of us don't call during the daytime but we should always be on alert for things the critter the mammal do in the cold like we do... Because of the terrain I was calling in I'm thinking now it was either a gray fox or a bobcat..
As a boy in the same area my dad was dropping me off in the Valley Dam area to hunt small game.. As we approached the area we saw a large racked buck turn away from the side of the road and raun toward the the woods.. out of it's nose and mouth shot that hot vapor that showed .  Yep he too was a mammal like us. I guess my point is when calling ... Sometime you will see the vapor on the horizon even before you see an animal on cold cold cold cold daytime calling..  We be warm blooded creatures just like the predators we hunt..

coyotejohn:
UB said:  Many of us don't call during the daytime 

Why is that?  Although nigh time hunting is allowed out here I have never done so nor do most of my friends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version