Author Topic: Lighted Reticle  (Read 3774 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Lighted Reticle
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
For years I used a red dot or lighted reticle of some sort but late last season I used a rifle with regular crosshairs and I think I liked it just as well.What does everyone else use and do you think lighted reticles are needed?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Lighted Reticle
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:21:18 PM »
I would love to get a heavy duplex scope but they cost some $.  leupold really is the only one that makes the type I want.  I haven't used a lighted ret for two years now but I also use a white light and not many like that either. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
I have been using a Leupold scope standard duplex for years with no issues.  I have never found a real need for the lighted reticle.  Basically its personal preferance and what your eye prefers.  In example a friend of mine said his eye sight was getting bad and he found that by switching to a lighted reticle helped him some with making shots. 
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:13:33 PM »
do you need a lighted reticle for nightime hunting??is that what were talking about here??
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
Cooper they are not necessary for night hunting but, some prefer them. 
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:28:10 AM »
With the advancement in hunting lights the last couple of years I think it works just as well with a non lighted crosshair.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
I don't think it needed most of the time but does come in handy on some of the farther shots for me.  Then again I am one of the old guys losing my vision.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 08:52:25 AM »
I don't use a lighted reticle and get along just fine with 51 year old eyes, then again I've never used a scope with a lighted reticle so I don't know if I'd like it or not.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:33 AM »
thats good news...ill probably invest in one later on just to try it out..thanks guys
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
Never used a lighted reticle and never had problems with standard duplex...but am only 26 and still trust my eyes pretty much

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:10:53 PM »
I like the leupold greman dot lighted up but I  light it up just enough to make out the dot.. I can get on target a little quicker with the greman dot then a crosshair. But I also found out as you guys mention that with todays lights you really dont need a lighted retcial.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »
The amount of light used for night hunting has a lot to do with standard cross hairs working at night.  The type of cross hairs has a lot to do  with being able to see the cross hairs at night. The quality of the scopes ability to collect light has a lot to do with seeing the target and cross hairs at the same tine. A persons eye sight and scope eye relief has to be adjusted correctly. Each person likes a different type of cross hair and some like the cross hairs lighted and some like just a lighted dot. So yes you can use standard cross hairs as long as you have enough light to see your target, and that will be determined by the distance your light will light up your target and cross hairs.  I like the Electra dot for hunting at night. I find that I can take running shots and not even think about cross hairs. I find that there are times when standard cross hairs can get mixed into the back ground just enough to cause me to focus a little harder then I need to with out the lighted dot. There are so many scope set up that a person can use today for night hunting at good prices. I would say look through a bunch and talk to as many people as possible that night hunt. My vote is for lighted dot.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:01:40 PM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
Buckwheat is on the money.  Hunted the Allagash  coming onto the full moon in March.  Had my new Leupold VX-R 4x12.  Lowest setting-Yes.  Stand was on the Little Black River and could shoot to 400 yards.  W/the snow and moon light I could have hit all the way out to 400. Neat but 3' of snow 2 days before we got there queered everything.  Got a couple of other tricks that our guide uses w/dawn to dusk & motion sensors.  They definitely work when you have some dogs, bait and they are moving around.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member