Author Topic: Squirrel Pot Pie/ Go and do some winter squirrel hunting and make this  (Read 3705 times)

uncle buck

SQUIRREL POT PIE

2 dressed squirrels (2 - 2 1/2 lbs.)
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter
Dash of black pepper
Rolled dumplings
Parsley
This is an excellent way to cook old squirrels which are too tough for frying. Wipe thoroughly with a damp cloth and remove all hair. Remove any shot and scent glands. Wash well inside and out with warm water. Cut into serving pieces. Put squirrel into a kettle; add water and salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer until very tender (2-3 hours depending on age of animal). The meat should be almost ready to fall from the bones.

Add pepper and butter. Increase the heat until liquid boils. Lay the rolled dumplings over the top of squirrel; cover tightly and cook for 12-15 minutes. Do not lift cover during cooking. Place squirrel in a hot plate and arrange dumplings around the edge. Cooking the dumplings in the liquid should thicken the gravy to just the right consistency. Pour gravy over squirrel and dumplings. A little fresh chopped parsley may be sprinkled over the top for garnish. 4 servings.

Offline 221 Fireball

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Squirrel Pot Pie/ Go and do some winter squirrel hunting and make this
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »
UB Your making me hungry. My parents neighbor who passed about ten years ago was a squirrel hunter from back in the day. His wife used to make squirrel corn soup, and it was good! Same deal cook the old tough one's off and substitute chicken meat with squirrel, i'm sure you could still use any chicken soup bases, or secret seasonings you would normally use.   

uncle buck

Re: Squirrel Pot Pie/ Go and do some winter squirrel hunting and make this
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
Being from Northeastern Pa... We never made Squirrel Pot Pie.  First off it should have crust on top of it if it's pie...
However always like to take a couple squirrel and roast them in a roaster right along with vegtables.. Carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, cabbage, onions...Yep roasted squirrel ain't half bad surrounded by vegtables in a roasting pan and popped into the oven...!!!!!!