Author Topic: Hunting in the snow  (Read 2430 times)

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Hunting in the snow
« on: January 23, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »
Trying tout figures out good was of hunting after this snow. As of 4 pm Saturday I have 23 inched and they don't want it to stop for another 6 hours. What are some techniques you would recommend?

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Hunting in the snow
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 04:07:17 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) Shovel a 20'X20' square in a wheat field that was green before the snow..set up 20-40 Full body Canada geese decoys, build yourself a recliner with snow along the edge, and be in all white camo...wackim and stackim!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:07:58 PM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »
To much snow and the people with out 4 wheel drive are going to have a bad remaining year... I have asked farmers If I can park where the oil delivery man delivers the heating oil.. You can call the tire groves to if the farmer does ride down through their lane.. The critters will follow that to your sound.. Also let the call, the tool, bring them to you.. Just get legal and call.. If they are hungry they will come to you...Snow = a good time to use field mouse distress and baby cottontail sounds. an bird distress too. Woodpecker, Flicker, Super Bird, Blue jay, etc..

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:52:03 PM »
when hunting this weather like UB said hunt trail's that have been packed by vehicles or snow machine's... follow the path of least resistance, is the rule of the day... keep your vehicle back and we'll hidden as they will spook quickly under these circumstances, voice of experience speaking here...  after a few days when the snow crust's over you can go back to more normal tactics...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:53:44 AM »
Yes definitely going to be a waiting period the next couple days. I know around here people that have all-terrain equipment live for this weather. That being said today will probably be play day/ clean up day. Just wait for these guys to make paths and have there fun. Then the doggies will be searching for that meal. Let's face it with weather being this cold they will need to get out of those holes and hunt. Day time calling will be tuff though with all the sleds and quads playing during the day but they will be doing me and the animals a favor by making trails. I'm just gonna take a break today and watch football lol...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:54:54 AM by Rookie furtaker »

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 08:33:02 AM »
 ;) ;) I'm going to look where someone cleared a 20x20  patch in a green wheat field  ;D ;D and left a lounger!  ::) set rigor rabbit dead center w/caller  ::) ::) and wait for success!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o.......super plan........ 8)

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 10:33:12 AM »
Can't hurt.....they should be hungry.....

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 04:08:35 PM »
anyone have any luck in the deep snow? just curious......I haven't been able to get out yet due to the chores of life.

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:17 PM »
Went out tonight got one red. She came in to 180 yards then spoked I shot her at 190. Did 3 sets in all and called it a night. It sucks to walk in for us but she seemed to walked fine. I have anywhere from 15 inches to like 3-4 feet depending  what snow drift you step in.

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 11:09:30 PM »
Nice! That's a lot of snow. I have about 2ft