Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Frustrated
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:36:39 PM »
Finally this year the weather has been good enough for me to get into all my cat spots. The big storm even missed us and I couldn't even buy a cat right now. I've found two different areas with cat tracks and last night I found my third different cat. I just can't get anything to come in. Monday and Tuesday I'm going back to day hunting then Wednesday its back to night. I think I'm going to try to sit for a hour during the day and take binoculars to scan before I leave. A cat is on the top of my list and I'm hoping to take care of that this year but I'm starting to get frustrated. Next week is a new week I'll watch some football and look at some maps an make a plan for next week.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:57:43 PM »
Bigcat. I understand your frustration. I'm in the same boat brother. Good cat spots with good cat sign. Last year was a big bust for me. The snow was way too deep to hunt spots I wanted to. The weather is really good for us D5 guys this year. Just be patient and keep at it. Bobcats are creatures of habit. If they were there (and you have proof that they were. snow doesn't lie.) they will be back. I'm no cat expert by any means. I do try and do my homework though. A male has a much larger home range than a female. Keep that in mind. It can take anywhere from a week to 3 weeks for a cat to come back through the area. They will come back. Patience and persistence are the key. Keep at it. Stay positive and sooner or later you will have an opportunity. Best of luck to you and all the cat hunters!
District 5 coordinator

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 01:55:16 PM »
If it takes 1 to 3 weeks for a male to make his rounds then it's just further proof that it's all up to God on whether you'll be there on that given day or not.

Good luck Cat!

Chad

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:07:08 AM »
I would try a moving decoy during daytime calling.
Don't know your terrain, but hunt on the sunny side of the mountain or ridge. Studies have shown Bobcats spend most of their time on the sunny side.

Last month, I learned of two properties that hold Bobcat within 10 miles of our home. Been dragging my feet on hunting them. Now I would like to get out, but the heavy snow fall put a halt to that. I may poke around later this week during the day time.
My best to you Bigcat. You have the right idea, More time spent in the woods has killed alot of 'Cats.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:00:10 AM »
you should be happy you have a warm place to get in to spend the night.  The year I hunted hard for my cat I slept in my bronco II wet cold and wishing I wasn't 150 miles from home. 

If you have a cat located and have really good cat sign.  I mean that it looks like your in his bedroom, cat tracks everywhere I would be calling it every 3-4 hours make a stand every couple hundred yards and take a hour break and then back at it again. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:18:33 PM »
I have a decoy going all the time when calling. I do have a couple places that look like they could be denning up. I called them 3 days in a row with no luck. I was out for a bit today with nothing. I think I'm gonna do a few night sets tomorrow and a all nighter Wednesday. Thanks for the advice guys.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 04:04:08 PM »
Bigcat, are you still seeing new cat sign in your spot? How about prey animal sign? Just curious, because my spot closer to home has fresh cat sign. I noticed LOTS of rabbit sign. I'm guessing perhaps they don't range as far during the winter if they have an abundance of food near by. Only a guess.... Keep after them!!!
District 5 coordinator

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 04:47:29 PM »
I was in a different spot today. It's a area I seen a cat in turkey season. There was a cat through there within the last couple days but I haven't found its hiding spot. A lot of fox tracks also. Friday will probably be the next time I make it back in the day to those other two places to see if they are still around but hopefully they show up the next few nights I make it. Good luck with your cat foxhound.
Home D-5
Camp D-3