Author Topic: another good night  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
another good night
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:26:26 AM »
last nigth got set up in a field and started on light distress. all the sudden coyotes howling not more than 150 yds away on the edge of the woods. after couple minutes on pup distress seen one running across the field. i turned the light off to get gun ready turned it back on and didn't see it after tht. then they howled again 15 minutes later and there were 3 in the same spot and two about 100 yds behind us... good night overall

Offline yote204

Re: another good night
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:04:13 AM »
ya can anyone tell us why they started howling after we did distress,, and/or can u tell us what we should have done after they started to howl , thanks guys

Offline catmando

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »
you probaly got busted, i always keep my light on. once its turned off they can see you unless well hidden,

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »
As already stated, never turn your light off.  Have the gun and everything ready when you sit down.  Were they all howling and barking at the same time?  If so then you probably hear group yip howls.  Tuff to call in at that point but I would have tried a KiYi and waited ten minutes. 

If it was a lone howl, you could have tried a female challenge.  She may have come in looking for the intruder and will sometimes drag the others with her but off in the distance.

You were probably busted as soon as you turned the light out.  Sounds like they got behind you and picked up your scent cone then told on you.

If you think you were busted wait two weeks and go back after them, otherwise stay on them cautiously you are probably in their core and won't take too much pressure before they split.  Try a different field or approach and get above them.  Maybe on top of the ridge and split up a good two hundred yards if possible but be safe especially at night.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 05:48:35 PM »
How many of you were there? Just two? Or were there more people with you...
They will get in line with the sound source and come into the wind at 250 yards away...If the person calling was in that spot you were busted.
Coyotes approach most times way down wind..Spots that you don't even see.
This is the time of the year the food distress sounds will work at times.. Just plain ole bulb squeaking...
Just like the underdog in football.. Has to play the perfect game to win game..  Coyote hunters...We are the underdog when it comes to the smarts of Eastern Coyotes... You have to do the perfect thing or the hunt is over....
There are so many things that you have to do...No talking,  putting something between you and the down wind side so when they make their arc into the wind it on the other side of the object..Object being a  building, farm machinery,  barn, creek...roads, large rock piles etc..They can't go through these when they make their arc..You force them to make their arc from the other side of these objects and come into the wind. if you mouth calling..You might want to move to to the  right or left after making your sounds... They hone in right on the sound source...
Also the more hunters you have...You might think of the right things to do..However if the other hunter does not think like you it's over.
You can't have 3 chiefs...One person got to call the shots and the other people have to listen...
Good thing is your getting their interest...Try to set up where your shooters can ambush them...Don't post anyone where the sound is coming from..Shooters need to be crosswind of the sound source..

You all might want to return to this farm and just sit with no calling... You know they are there. Maybe one will walk out into the field. You can ID it as a coyote and shoot it..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:55:33 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »
thanks for the advice. and i have no doubt they busted us. me and yote204 took a guy who said shootin a coyote was on his bucket list haha but we had the caller set up wind and we were backs against trees which shoulda covered up our outline.
all that counts is we had alot of fun!
hearin coyotes howlin is like music to us!
i also noticed somethin wierd about night huntin. whenever we see shooting stars we have them either howlin or comin in close

Offline yote204

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »
so u cant turn off ur light at all

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
Is it fact that a coyote can see better than any other canine?  I am skeptical.  I have no where near the experience of say UB.  I just started this predator hunting thing.  Dont canines use their nose more than their eyes at night?  Last night for instance my light was off and a coyote walked right past me.  10 yards upwind of me.  I was prone at the top of a knoll on the edge of a field.  Tree line was 5-8 yards behind me.  I was also fidgeting with the tape on the front of my light trying to get it off.  From my experience with dog pets, they cant see that far in pitch black, but they can smell
Chris Deckard  District 2

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:56:38 PM »
Oh they can see you.  You never turn off your light from when you depart your vehicle, do you stand and return to the vehicle... The red lens is your shield...Coyotes can see through lights too un like all the other predators.. They can see you, they can hear you and they can smell you...

Offline yote204

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:56:55 AM »
i dont know if i have enough battery to last that long if we shine the whole time.... so when we have the red light on them the can see right threw it, and what kind of lights do u guys use

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:01:14 AM »
yote204, I have the Promos 100yard scope light attached to the bottom end of my rifle barrel.  I like it there because mounted on the scope, it illuminates the rifle.  I also have a 1,000,000 candle power spot light with red ink on the lense.

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 12:08:38 AM »
i don't know if i have enough battery to last that long if we shine the whole time.... so when we have the red light on them the can see right threw it, and what kind of lights do u guys use

If you have a light shinning behind you...Just say the farmer has a pole light by the barn and your back is too it...Or just after a rain and the barn is behind you and it's wet and shinny..Learn to place yourself in front of something so any light in the distance is not at your back...
See it's things like this that get hunters busted... 

If your scanning to the left and right as you turn away from the predator they will see you...When a predator does appear keep the red light pointed at the predator..I have already started walking out to a red fox to gain the needed lethal shotgun range.. You hold the light in front of you...Or on your head and just walk slowly toward the red fox... Now if you did this to a coyote...It's over....
I do wear a red light on my head but sometimes one attached to a broom handle or dowel rod helps you hide better since you can keep it right out in front of you.. YOUR RED LENS LIGHT IS YOUR SHIELD.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 10:55:16 AM »
whitefeather, I use a Lightforce mounted to my scope, Go to Liteforce.com and look for hunting lights. In my opinion, it's the best hunting light an the market.
President PPHA

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »
Muttbuster, Where did u get the light?  How much$$

How far can thelight make out a critter...yardage?

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 02:11:17 PM »

Here is the info on the lightforce portable shooting lights... I have heard a lot of good things about this shooting light.
which of the shooting models are the best for hunting in Pa? Also how much do they cost? Looks like it has a battery pack..

http://www.lightforce.com/products/portable-systems