Author Topic: What are we doin wrong???  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
What are we doin wrong???
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:14:56 PM »
Time and time again we have coyotes sarinating out beyond reach.
their answering to all are calls yet they don"t come in?
Were making more than an hour long set everytime this occurs

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: What are we doin wrong???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:16:18 AM »
what set up are you using, where is the caller, which way is the wind blowing. 

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:36:36 AM »
All indications of someone doing something wrong and giving you away. Turning your light off during the hunt or turning around and looking backward when the  coyotes are coming into the wind.. Talking while you walk into your stand. Walking on crusted snow when you should have just called where it legal.
Then there is over calling... You just don't do well on coyotes here in Pa if you call constantly like you would for fox, coon, and bobcats..

The subject said we too... how many are we? The more people you take the more the stand goes in favor of the coyotes...

You have to play the perfect game.  There have been many of time that I did not play the perfect game.

What serenade AKA coyote talk are they responding back to you? Does  it include barks and woofs? 

Many Hunter's say do what ever the coyotes do to you (vocalizations) .  Try to mimic what ever they are doing. Me I do not do that...

I would  hit them the  KIYI's and or the coyote pup and that brings them in....

Offline Rich Cronk

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »
When coyotes howl in response  to  your calling but refuse to come in, it usually means that they are interested but know that something isn't right over there. Uncle Buck has given good advice already, and one thing that he said is becoming more true all of the time, and not just in PA either. "You just don't do well on coyotes here in Pa if you call constantly "  It is my honest opinion that the use of electronic callers has caused a lot of that problem.  I believe that coyotes in a lot of places here in the mid west have become wise to the constant screams. Electronic callers are fine, but my advice is to only let the caller play six or eight screams before you mute the sound and wait several minutes before calling again.

Offline catmando

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:43:54 PM »
a freind of mine called a yote the other day, here is how it went down.  he howled with a female invitation call and got a answer about a half mile away then he gave another howl and quit calling 20 minutes later the yote appeared and he shot it,  its like the big gobbler that comes in silent you dont know hes there and he busts you and leaves with out you ever knowing he was even there,

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »
We were set up on the edge of a field up against some farm equipment we were using mouth calls and wind was blowing at our face(i prefer right to left) we did a lonesome howl and the whole pack went crazy so we waited about half a minute and did a couple young coyote challenges. we shut up after that. waited about a half hour then did a sarinade then distress from high volume to low volume...

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »
There is just 2 of us for our set and the serenade had alot of yips but only heard one or two barks..

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
We were set up on the edge of a field up against some farm equipment we were using mouth calls and wind was blowing at our face(i prefer right to left) we did a lonesome howl and the whole pack went crazy so we waited about half a minute and did a couple young coyote challenges. we shut up after that. waited about a half hour then did a sarinade then distress from high volume to low volume...

Sounds like you did not over call but you did have the wind in your face...Could be they came in to your calling, circled behind you and came into the wind and busted you and you did not even know it...

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
Yotestalker,  I don't consider myself an expert on coyotes but heres my 2 cents.I'm guessing this was at night?I had this happen on numerous occasions at night and have never called them in under that scenario.I wish I knew what they were thinking at that moment.I would imagine a group of coyotes would not  consider a lone coyote a threat therefore not worth the effort.You got their attention and they basically told you we live here ,get out of our space.I would try again in a couple weeks in a different spot with a different calling scenario.Thinking back over the years I can't think of one time that a coyote was called in that responded to my calls vocally,they always seem to come in silent.I look foreward to seeing some of the experts suggestions.  

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 07:59:07 PM »
I'd say, if they don't come within 30 min
go after them,
get a few hundred yards closer and give them a passive howl

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 08:15:09 PM »
i would wait until you get the wind in the other direction and send a shooter 100 to 150 yards downwind of the caller and 30 to 50 yards off to the left or the right of the direct line of wind.  you can even try that with the wind in your face but imo the are more comfortable coming in on the downwind side. 

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
Going on the offensive might work if you don't get busted.Good suggestion..

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »
the snow was very crunchie which made movement a nightmare.
but i might have to throw in some turkey hunting techniques like you said by moving closer howling then shutting up. maybe they'll think i'm a pretty brave pup hahah

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 07:20:31 PM »
After the first contact is made, be as submissive as possible
like pup howls, kiyi's, or even some prey distress.  JMO

If the snow was lousy for moving up on them, then I'd probably abort too.
Maybe if you could back out quietly to the truck, and drive to where they're headed or the opposite site of where they're hanging up, might work.
Ive heard that sometimes, a stream bed, logging road, or some other natural border could stop a canine from coming all the way like
a fence to a turkey.
JMO